Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrolosis

Well I've been experimenting, and having aliilte fun. I have set up an electrolysis tub. Since I've been using it, I have been amazed at just how well it is working. For example, I am in the process of cleaning the engine cross member. At first I tried just using the drill with a wire wheel. Just a small area. but Then stuck half of it in the solution for about 3 hours. When I pulled it out, even the factory paint rubed off, and the rusted metal is now usable metal again. I only have to go over it with a brush to clean some of the thick stuff. another few minutes in the bath, and it's pretty much done.

Basically, I have a rubber maid tub, I use two battery chargers. Arm and Hamer washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) Don't waste your time with Bi-carbonate. It's way to slow. I hook the possitive up to a 1" wrench(works better than anything else I've tried.) then negative to the part. try to keep the battery chargers clamps out of the water, and I would use rubber gloves if I where you. A shocking experiance if you don't.

Any way the process is alot easier than I thought it would be.
I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Now if I could only find a bucket big enough to fit an Opel into....

·
1,973 Posts
no rectifier or anything to lower the amps....scary. Im trying to get set up to do buffing,anodizing, and chroming. here is by far the best site out there to do this stuff www.caswellplating.com

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
setup

Both chargers are setup with -neg to the part and +poss to the wrench. in some cases I'd use two wrenches bot -nrg on the part and a +pos on each wrench, and set them on different sides of the container. This seems to work better because the closest part of the part being cleaned to the +pos gets cleaned the fastest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts