Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this is worth looking at.

1euro = 1.23US give or take

I am told this cost about 8,000 euro's however that is at their machine shop prices and some of the prices seem way out of line like 750E for lifters but I am not really the

****= my coments the rest is from the builder
=================

Calvin You have the webers, finished shortblock, ignition, oilpan, flywheel, clutch, all the gaskets

you need
Cyl.head, the cover, frontplate, rearplate, sparks+cables: +-1000€
* ok

Cams+springs: 1210€
**** I bet we can have a cam ground cheaper than 1200E

Inlet manifolds: 400€ **** maybe
Exhaust manifold: 800€ ****An exhaust can be made for less than 800E

Timing chain and cover: 500€.....

This makes already +-4000 € ******I say around 2500-3G US

Then the modifications of the head and timing chain: much work but
possible for everybody
who has expierience with alu tig/wig welding, frasen/bohren and has the
possibility to use all these machines.
I haven't counted the amount of working hours on this, but believe me
it
is much more then 100 hours.
Extra costs like surface planing are there too.

Then you have a "Standard 24e 16V" like mine, without

with lightened flywheel: 2000€
-bronze valvesittings: 250€
-bigger valves and seats: 650€ ***these seem high
-good oilpump: 275€
-mechanical tappets: 750€ ***750E for lifters?!?!?!****

Extra work here is more then 50 hours

With this is comes to 8000€ when you do everything yourself.

Extra works to reach +250 hp:
-

stronger driveshafts: 1300€...................I wonder if he means the torque tube
-nitrated crankshaft: 500€...............
-clutch with steel flywheel: 1200€......
-programmable injection: 3000€......... *****Use carbs

I wonder what this would really cost... I woder if our roller rockers will work..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
prices

Calvin;
What you posted is not far off. I have a friend, in Belgium, he's going to be doing the 5-spd conversion to his GT when he gets all the metal work done on the body. But, when I told him about doing my 5-spd conversion and that getting the driveshaft shortened only cost $60 at Doraville Driveline, he send me his driveshaft to have it done here and ship back to him. He says it's by far cheaper to do it that way than to go to a machine shop nearby.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
What you're looking at there is a 2.4 with a twin-cam head. They take the twincam 3.0 litre 24-valve engine, and cut the head off at the rear cylinders. Then they weld it up, and have custom cams made from scratch. You can't just cut and regrind the 6-cylinder cam(s), the phasing is all wrong since the 6 cyl firing order is different from a 4 cylinder's. I've heard the head conversion costs about $6000....without a shortblock. So at 8000 euros, that's $9840 with the bottom end too....custom pistons with 4-valve reliefs included. Definitely not a bargain, but I imagine it would cost you 75% of that money if you did it yourself, and had access to a machine shop and the welding equipment, plus had the ability to do it!

Bob

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Sportwagon75 said:
If I'm not mistaken...isn't that a Kadett they've got that engine in??? Anyone have more info on that project??? Power & torque stats etc. ???
Your right that is in a Kadett. To find out more information try doing a search for Reisse Motorsport...........it's in German but its very good for tuning stuff and the 2.4 16v.

You could also try the Opel tuners website and in addition you can also find info on Roller Rockers too.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Kadett!

Kadett?? It is a brick on a roller skate! Probably a fast brick on a roller skate!

Twin cams or "ordinary" - a CIH is extraordinary! :p

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Waar is Ottenburg eigenlijk?

RalcoBe said:
Hello.

Nice to see my Engine, description and car on this Forum.
More pictures of my engine and cars can be found on our Website:

Opel Rear Power Team

Greetings
Mooie auto, joh! Ergens in Belgié weet ik al wel, maar juist waar weet ik niet. Je kan me rustig in 't Hollands of Engels antwoorden. Niet veel mogelijkhijden in Texas om een beetje Hollands te praten, weet je. :confused:

Nice car, man! Somewhere in Belgium I already know, but exactly where, I don't. You can answer me either in Dutch or English. Not many opportunities to speak a bit of Dutch in Texas, you know. :rolleyes:

·
Opeler
27 Posts
-mechanical tappets: 750€ ***750E for lifters?!?!?!****

This head comes with hydraulic lifters as standard, look nothing like the CIH lifters (look like buckets). The solid lifters for this head are only available from Risse Motorsport in Germany, as far as I know.

However, a good machine shop should be able to modify the original hydraulic lifters, and turn them into solid lifters.

The valves will also be cheaper to get made in the US.

·
Opeler
8 Posts
Hello, Ottenburg is +-25 from the centre of Brussels, Belgium.

The mechanical lifters are indeed very expensive, they don't exist on some standard car. They have the same size as the XE 16V engine

On a BMW M3 (and many others) the mechanical tappets can be pushed down, so that the plate can be removed.

A cheaper way to do it is put a very precise plate under the emptied hydraulic lifter. Big disadvantage is that you have to remove the cams several times before getting that right.

Unfortunately there are parts of text missing in the quote from calvin, so that some things seem very strange.

Greetings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.