Opel GT Forum banner

Homemade Steering Wheel Puller

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  svopel 
#1 ·
An Opel mechanic made a steering wheel puller for me when I was in Germany 1976-81. (I posted this information about a year ago with the Opel group)

The improvisation consists of a steel plate, approximately 10 centimeters in diameter and half centimeter thick, with six holes drilled through it. Six (or three -- see note below) bolts (6x1.0 and approximately 4 centimeters long).

Once the horn button, horn ring, shaft nut, and the six hex bolts are removed, the steel plate is placed over the steer wheel hub so that the holes in the plate are aligned with the hex bolt holes. Note: I use only three bolts -- equally spaced. Tighten down the three bolts evenly and ... Voila! ... the wheel comes right off. If a lot of resistance were encountered, I would use six bolts.

It works like a charm!

#4 · (Edited)
Make sure you save the photo as a jpg. There is a great free image editor called Irfanview available in the Downloads Section. You can always upload it to the members photo gallery or send the photo to me if you still have problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.