Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Very cool. I have an extra 1.1 engine I was planning to build once I get caught up (right now, that should be about 2030).

I was thinking of using the single carb manifold and using a single throttle body FI with a turbocharger. That spindly crank scares me a bit when talking boost.

The only thing that concerns me about the OP's build is the valve springs. He describes them as significantly stiffer than stock. I am sure they are, but didn't the engine they came out of (late 90s Del Sol) have roller lifters? They can stand a lot more spring pressure than the flat tappet cam in the 1.1. Hope you don't wipe a lobe.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Very cool. I have an extra 1.1 engine I was planning to build once I get caught up (right now, that should be about 2030).

I was thinking of using the single carb manifold and using a single throttle body FI with a turbocharger. That spindly crank scares me a bit when talking boost.

The only thing that concerns me about the OP's build is the valve springs. He describes them as significantly stiffer than stock. I am sure they are, but didn't the engine they came out of (late 90s Del Sol) have roller lifters? They can stand a lot more spring pressure than the flat tappet cam in the 1.1. Hope you don't wipe a lobe.
The crank is forged and pretty tough, unless you rev it constantly north of 8000RPM, and with boost there is no need to rev it that high anyway. Two hundred hp from a turboed 1,2 liter ohv sounds just right if you ask me.
:)

61 - 65 of 65 Posts