Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for as many possibility's of hood scoops shown on Opel GTs do you guys have any pictures? Im looking for a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
LS 88 Cowl

I don't have a pic but you can find it online. It's an LS 88 MINI SCOOP. A mini version from a Corvette Stingray. I've given it lots of thought. I measured out the length and width of that MINI scoop and it would go from the tip of the hood all the way to the rear of the hood. You would have to remove the carb bubble and could of course do away with the louvre vents on the front sides of the hood, If you cut a hole under the scoop to vent air.

The other alternative would be to shorten the scoop length by trimming at the rear. Email me your address and I can send you a pic of my mock measured hood.

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
There used to be some old pictures on here of the original scoop cut flat about 1/3 of the way back, with a chrome mesh fitted into the new front opening. It looked great. If ever I modify the hood, that is what I would do.

·
Opelnut
943 Posts
and opel gt source is the US source for lenk

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'd like to find a hood scoop as well, primarily because I would like to get rid of the vents toward the front of the hood and allow the warm air to vent out throught the back of the hood scoop.

My opinion though, I don't care for most of the hood scoops out there. Too many of them are overstated 1980's designs. I like the Lenk fiberglass hood, I just don't care for the dual nostril openings. I want something simple and elegant that looks like an upgrade that was designed for the car.

I may consider designing my own hood scoop that has a lower profile and follows the body lines better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd like to find a hood scoop as well, primarily because I would like to get rid of the vents toward the front of the hood and allow the warm air to vent out throught the back of the hood scoop.
Just an FYI, hood scoops like these do not allow air to exit, but are for air intake. These scoops use the high pressure area at the base of the windshield to force air down, into the engine. Don't remove the front intakes and replace with a rear facing one, you will stall the air going through your radiator and cause over heating issues.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If the engine compartment seals are good (new) and the hood seals well, and a hole is cut mid hood, and then a scoop placed over that with a vent at the rear.... wouldn't this allow the air to enter through the nostrils and belly pan, through the radiator and fan shroud, and up and out and back through the newly vented hood...?

Along with a fresh radiator, hoses, thermostat and fluid, 7 blade fan... :confused:

·
789 Posts
I will sell this one.
PM me if you are interested

Attachments

Reactions: Zarath

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
L88 mini cowl

Yes AZOPELNUT has the L88 Stingray Hood Scoop/Cowl but he has the full size one measuring 31" inches wide, 50" inches long, 3.5" inches high. I am seriously considering the same scoop but the mini version 17.75" inches wide, 34" inches long, 2" inches high. MUCH lower profile and less overwhelming.

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
I'd like to see some more pics of the Orange car on the new logo. What hood is that?
The orange GT in the new logo is indeed the 1965 GT prototype. You may have seen a few b/w pics of it, but, it's orange in color.Google/Wiki the Opel GT and you should come across a few pics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the engine compartment seals are good (new) and the hood seals well, and a hole is cut mid hood, and then a scoop placed over that with a vent at the rear.... wouldn't this allow the air to enter through the nostrils and belly pan, through the radiator and fan shroud, and up and out and back through the newly vented hood...?

Along with a fresh radiator, hoses, thermostat and fluid, 7 blade fan... :confused:
I would think the rear facing opening must be suitably forward to be a vent. If you recall, many muscle cars had rear facing scoops such as the Firebird. These scoops were almost in the middle of the hood, and they still were intake (if not just "show"). Without air tunnel tests, I have no idea how far forward the high pressure zone at the base of the windshield reaches forward. It would be speed-dependant, so the faster you go, the farther forward it will cover. If you recall, cars that exit the air from the hood region do it very quickly. Think about the Ford GT (real one, not retro). They brough are in through the front grill and had it exit just after going through the radiator. They were able to do this because there was nothing there to get in the way of the ducting.

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts

the top of the hood just at base of windscreen is a high pressure area so air will come in there not out , its why the intake for the ventilation is there on most cars and why some cars have an intake there to get a little boost pressure into the intake at speed
most of the air going into the grill and nostrils of the gt will leave from under the car not out the top, if they did any fumes from the engine would be fed into the cabin and make it a death trap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts