Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of did a thread search for this and came up goosegg in the subject line so I'll ask:

Anyone ever installed those little gas assist struts for the hood?

If so photos and how ya did it would be great. I'm thinkin about this and looking for some feedback.

It cracked the above zero mark today for the first ime in about two weeks:D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I've been considering that myself. I've got the OGTS fiberglass Lenk Tuning hood for my V-6 mod and my hood hinge rusted out and broke off at each end, so a revamp of that mechanism is necessary. I put the gas struts on all the compartment doors of our motorhome and if installed correctly the will not only hold the hood up, but will hold it in the closed position too. My first thoughts were to attach two of them vertically from below the radiator sheetmetal, then thought about attaching them to the curved arms on the hinge rod. Both ideas are on hold until I pull the V-6/T-5 back out to do some serious cleaning and painting in the engine compartment. BTW, it's going to be another great day here inSANe DIEGO, temps in the low 70s with expected temps next week in the high 70s - low 80s. :cool:

Ron

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i looked at doing it and the only way i could see of getting a good clearance to get at anything was going to mean useing such a long strut it was too powerfull (hood to catapult in 1 easy conversion)
with more choice of struts now it may be workable from the bottom of the rad mount area to the hood hinge frame between the brake booster and dizzy on 1 side and the air filtre on other
just a thought
and -10 C last week +14 C this week thats 43ish deg F diff
ron weve got to stop thinking the same things

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Baz, you could go with a short strut and fabricate an extension to it. If you want to see the different sizes and pressures available, at least here, check out camping world. You have to do a search on their website, and I can't remember how I found the ones for our motorhome, but they came with all the mounting hardware and they have ball sockets on one end or both for easy installation. The mounting plates are triangular in shape so an extension should be easy to build. HTH.

Ron

·
451 Posts
I've got gas struts on my hood, I really hate the hood prop. If you like I can post some pictures. It was a pretty simple mod.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Great Nathan, I'd like to see how you did it, for an idea on mine. I've been trying to figure a way to use the latch hooks on my new hood, but I've got clearance issues with the engine. If I set up the gas struts in an overcenter configuration, I'll have to figure some way to raise the hood from inside so the hood will go up and not stay down. BTW, off topic, have you seen or heard of someone that was doing a mod on the tach board for the V-6. I saw an e-mail a while back but lost it in ether land.

Ron

·
451 Posts
Ron,

I'll post some pictures of the struts. As for the tach mods, I do not recall anyone who was doing such a project.

-Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That would be great Nathan, give me something else to think about doing with this mod. I'm working on the power panel, been on that for the past two weeks. Just started modification #2 on this thing, ran out of room on the first box, so I got another one to stuff more junk in along with the first box. I hope to have all the relays, terminal strips, circuit breakers, and both harnesses come together in the two boxes. Just something to do while I'm still waiting on the exhaust. Hopefully, soon.

Ron

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
ron
i have been chating with a pal and he said that there are struts with a lock lever so they only move when you wish
i am going to search for them , then run a cable to work the ram for up and just push down for closed if they are not too expensive ha ha this should keep the hood down when on the road and work as a bullit proof shield if i pull the wrong handle:confused:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Baz, the ones I put on our motorhome and the ones that were already installed, were put in so that they went over center when they were put in the partially closed positio, then would close under gas pressure and would hold the compartment doors closed. So if the latches ever failed they would remain closed until they were manually opened. I'm looking at doing mine that way, but I would need a method to open the hood partially manually, then they would open by gas strut action. Closing would be easy, push the hood down almost all the way, then the struts would close the hood the rest of the way, again with gas pressure. Just something else to ponder. :confused:

Ron

·
451 Posts
Hood strut pictures

All,

The pictures of my hood struts can be seen here:

http://www.opelgt.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/12614

I don't have any specific part numbers as the struts were purchased from a local electronics surplus. The mount brackets were fabricated from angle aluminum and attached using machine screws and an epoxy putty "pad" to help distribute the load.

The struts have been working well for about three years now. I take them for granted; when I go to open the hoods on other GTs I almost drop them because I just expect them to stay open like mine does.

As far as the hood opening itself- it won't. The pressure of the compressed struts helps hold the hood down. The struts only start supporting the hood once it is more than 1/4 of the way up. I drove the car for a year back and forth to school on the highway at 75+ without a hood latch and the hood would lift about an inch at that speed.

Let me know if I can give any more info,

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Nathan, that is very nice. I didn't even think of mounting the base to the radiator support cross member, I figured it would be too high up for the overcenter function of the struts to work. Now if you could give me the barrel length and the extended length, I'll see if I can find some similar to put on my hood. I may want to go with the highest pressure I can get. I don't want the hood to come up even a little bit while I'm driving. I have been known to go into the century mark on occasion. I'm a little leery of putting holes in the new hood for the safety pins that Gil at OGTS has on his red GT's hood, so maybe I'll figure out some other type of latching system.

Ron

·
451 Posts
hood struts

Ron,

Just took some measurements of the struts I used and they are as follows (sorry for the delay):

20" (between the centers of the mouning eyes) uncompressed

13" fully compressed

BTW, if I recall correctly there is 1" travel left on the strut when the hood is fully shut.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Nathan, That sounds about right for overcenter action if the bottom mount is higher that the top mount when the strut is compressed. The gas pressure will try to keep the hood closed. When you get the hood almost closed, does it drop down by itself, or do you have to close it all the way by hand? If it closes by itself, that's the overcenter action I want.

Ron

·
451 Posts
Ron,

The hood will drop by itself once it gets about 3/4 of the way closed. However, I think the top mounts are still slightly higher than the lowers even when the hood shuts (maybe by an inch or so) but at that point they are very nearly horizontal so there is no vertical force component.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
451 Posts
dakotaguy said:
Thanks for the info. Nathan.

Any idea what pressure the struts are? This might help some.

:)
No clue actually. I'll have to take a look on the body of the struts to see if there is any info on them. They are fairly stiff, but I could still compress them with my hands so they are not a strong as some that I have seen.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Great info again Nathan, I'll go to the Camping World website, do a search and find the strongest struts that meet the dimensions. I got the struts I put in the motorhome from them and they had a fair large selection, both in length and pressures.

Ron

·
451 Posts
Took a look at the struts this evening but there is no reference to pressure or force on the body of the struts. They only have some chinese letters and the phrase "Caution Compressed Gas- do not put into fire" (don't worry).

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I did a search at Camping World's website under "Gas Props" and came up with three struts that closely match your dimensions Nathan. They are 11.8" compressed and 20" extended and come in 40, 80, and 120 psi force, and they are all right at $17.00 each. I'll have to look at the ones I put in the motorhome and see what pressure I used on it. It may be a while though, the big rig is in storage, and I don't have to go there until the first of the month to pay the bill. :p

Ron

1 - 20 of 30 Posts