Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another hair brained idea. Seems that's all I come up with lately.

This would be great in an Opel GT. You would need some chassis reinforcement; maybe a full cage.

And, you would have to build another header, unless you want the exhaust blowing onto the windshield.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not hair brained at all, a worthwhile project. Or you could swap in a stinking LS V8. Which would you rather see? I was close to putting an Eslinger Lima motor in my Manta before I researched all of RB's good info.

·
Opeler
474 Posts
For the man who has everything,, Why Not ? And it's close at hand !
It looks like alot of fun! The header would have to be changed but it good power for not that much money. I have over 6kin my 2.5 and it is not finished.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I thought I could get new cams for it to tame it down without spending a fortune, I might actually try it. Yeah, the seller is in OKC, less than 30 min. from my office.

Look at the power curve. That thing doesn't make any power UNTIL 4500 rpm. It would be no fun on the street.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Since this is a "racing engine" (which definitely needs different cams for street use) one thing to think about is parts availability. Racing engines aren't always built with readily available parts. Some parts can be custom made or modified making them difficult to obtain.

·
Opeler
474 Posts
If I thought I could get new cams for it to tame it down without spending a fortune, I might actually try it. Yeah, the seller is in OKC, less than 30 min. from my office.

Look at the power curve. That thing doesn't make any power UNTIL 4500 rpm. It would be no fun on the street.
It looks a little tall. Would you be putting it in a GT?

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
Since this is a "racing engine" (which definitely needs different cams for street use) one thing to think about is parts availability. Racing engines aren't always built with readily available parts. Some parts can be custom made or modified making them difficult to obtain.
Cosworth parts are available plenty. But are very pricey.

if you put in milder cams to make it more streetable, then you would also need to drop compression to reduce cylinder pressures. Cams and compression go hand-in-hand.

Then there’s the rebuild factor. Race engines are designed to last a defined amount of hours between rebuilds. Not miles or years.

Lastly, even with mild cams, it’s going to be a lot peakier than a normal street engine. So budget in a close ratio gearbox and steeper final drive ratio. Otherwise why bother? It will be slower than a street engine when it’s off the powerband.

·
boomerang opeler
5,638 Posts
Save the hassel, get a Cosworth YB ( street engine) from Europe/UK and you have an engine from the same family but streetable running 200 to 650BHP on pump gas for the same initial outlay as that YBM is sitting at now.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
An older co-worker had a '75 Cosworth Vega in the late 80's he had bought brand new. He was a homebody and never went anywhere except the 10 mile drive to work. The 12 year old car had about 35K miles on it. One day we popped the hood to look around and I idley removed the radiator cap to take a peek. Bright beautiful green antifreeze filled to the top. "Hey, I thought you said you never mess with this car? When did you put new antifreeze in?". He said, "Nope, I never do a thing to it except check the oil once a year. It's never had a tune up. In fact, this is the first time I've ever seen the radiator cap removed."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts