Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was under my car today looking for a loose bolt when I noticed my motor mounts are cracked all the way around from the metal backing. I guess it's all that spirited driving I'm doing. :)

Anyways, I've never replaced these before. Any advice on method and tools would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Manny

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
motor mounts

Manny;
It depends on which side is broke, but, either way, all you do is use a floor jack to support the motor and raise it just enough to take the pressure off the mount, and unbolt it. If you have a cherry picker, you can raise the motor a tiny bit and remove the mount.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, now what?

Hi All,

Please advise. I have removed the nuts and bolts from the motor mounts. And am now scratching my head as to how to lift the engine to replace the mounts. I have the car jacked up on stands. And now my jack can't reach the engine.

Is it OK to jack it at the oilpan? I was going to put a short piece of 2x4 (wider than the oilpan) between the jack and the oilpan. Should that be OK, or will it dent my oilpan?

I was advised earlier by OGTS to jack up the engine at the flange where the oilpan bolts to the block. But all that did was warp the lip around the oilpan. Should I just ignore that and continue jacking up the engine at the flange?

Thanks for any advice,

Manny

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
mounts

Manny;
Use the block of wood, but, under the oil pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
When I let my engine down with an overhead hoist, it just rests on the oil pan once down on the ground. So I would suggest that you cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood a bit bigger than the oil pan, extending over the edges, and then jack that up with a 2X4 (again a bit wider than the pan) between the plywood and the jack. I would be cautious about supporting the engine on the timing chain case, at the oil pump end.

JM2CW

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
jacking it up on the pan with a block of wood worked good for me. took maybe a half hour to change them, its really not a big deal once you figure out a safe way to pick the motor up.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks to all for your helpful advice. The car feels solid. I'm really surprised how much different the car feels. Especially on acceleration and over bumps.

Is it common to snap the metal backing plate on the top of the motor mount? The driver side was completely destroyed. And the passenger side actually could have continued in service for a while longer. But since I was at it, I feel better doing them both.

Anyways, thanks again.

Manny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts