Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're supposed to put two nuts on the top of each front shock and tighten them against each other, but they are recessed in a hole and I can't get 2 wrenches on them. Does anyone have a clever method or can suggest a tool to do that?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Über Genius
9,884 Posts
These, maybe?
Rectangle Vehicle Chair Table Font

• Love
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
222 Posts
There are shock bolt tools, the nut uses a tube and a secondary tool holds the shaft from turning. Now most cases if you are using an impacting wrench, just zip on the top nut and it will be fine
Agreed, there are specific tools for the shock stud. This is the set I have from Amazon....
39pc Strut Shock Installation Tool Kit Removal Nut Socket Set Absorber's Top Lid

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed that my KYB shocks had a shoulder on the threaded shaft about 1.5" from the top. Not a true shoulder, just no threads after the first 1.5". When I assembled and put the first nut on, then tightened it to pre-load the rubber bushings above and below the hole in the body, I noticed that the nut stopped when it got to the unthreaded part of the shaft. This turned out to be the perfect pre-load or compression of the bushings and I tightened the nut firmly against the unthreaded area. I had someone hold the very top of the outer sleeve of the shock with ChannelLocks to keep it from turning, making sure not to apply any crushing force to that outer sleeve. So, then, I had that extra nut to deal with. Of course, I've installed many shocks on my GT's over the past 40 years and have dealt with this situation a number of times. I think in the past I used right angle bent needle nose pliers that I inserted down into the recessed hole and grabbed hold of the nut, then I put the second nut on and tightened it with a socket while holding the lower nut with the needle nosers. I couldn't hold the nut for too long before it would spin due to the torque I was applying to the top nut, but it appears to have worked just fine and I never encountered a front shock that had it's nuts come loose. I started this thread to see if there was a better way.

Someone on FB suggested replacing the top nut with a nylon insert lock nut, with maybe a star washer between the nuts. This seems to be a nice simple way to get the job done and the star washer, plus the lock nut, would give me pretty good peace of mind that the nuts won't loosen up. Like I said, I never discovered that any of my shock nuts had unscrewed using my bent needle nose pliers method.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The tool being suggested is for tightening a single nut in a strut assembly and not for the jam nut situation that Gordon is dealing with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_nut When jamming nuts,, you don't have to worry about the shaft. You just need to hold one nut while turning the other. When you tighten, the nuts are pushing in opposite directions on the threads locking the assembly in place. I'm not sure the star washer will to that and not just lock the nuts together but they may still turn together. The impact gun sounds like the easiest. You have a good chance of jamming the nuts before the first one starts to turn, which should not be run up against the unthreaded shaft. The jam nut keeps the assembly tight.

·
Super Moderator
14,709 Posts
FWIW, I’ve never bothered to double-nut shock absorbers. One nut, tightened until the rubber bushings are squeezed just enough to match the OD of the metal washers, is all I’ve ever done.

Never seen one loosen up. In fact, if anything, they’re always a PITA to remove years later!

·
Registered
222 Posts

You don’t really need 39 pieces
UNLESS the one you need is NOT the one you have.......LOL. Kind of like you don't really need a 100pc socket set.....unless you do. You can never have enough tools......but I am running out of walls to hang em.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts