Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Bikini Inspector
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elephants and Mammoths Line Working animal Font Elephant

Ok new thread in regards to my getting my Opel Back running. One bite or question at a time.

First question

Which motor mount do I need when I have a 2.4 raised port head with EFI? It looks like hood will not close. Do I shim the engine crossmember to lower the motor a tad too?

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,935 Posts
Manta B so I am told. I have had motors have the 2.4L fit with some shaving of the manifold and stock mounts.

Biggest issue is if you have a shorter mount it messes with the Header if you have one of the larger ones with triangle mounting flanges.

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,678 Posts
Uh-oh, this doesn't sound good.

I have a pair of the shorter motor mounts. They're about 1/2" shorter.

But, by lowering the engine 1/2", you lower the engine fan 1/2", and now it's dangerously close to the bottom of the fan shroud. The fan shrouds ARE somewhat adjustable, so maybe that can be fixed. I insist on having an engine fan, but you might want to opt for an electric. I don't know about the exhaust thing, but if you go with the oem or the new shorty header you can use the stock or 2" stainless exhaust piping that use the normally positioned headpipe flange location.

What is the situation at the cowling? Is it hitting there or does the back of the plenum cylinder hit or rub against vertical area under the cowling?

I use Lenk hoods, so I have no troubles with the FI hitting the hood. This stuff is partially why I've been trying to come up with a shorter, more minimal, FI set up and the guys have been playing around with 3D printed manifolds and such that are shorter.

Is this the chromed manifold of which you spoke? I was going to suggest seeing if Charlie could hook you up with my set up, which is a 2.2 manifold with a 2.4 throttle body. Then your set up would be just like mine and the issues and solutions would be the same.

I never considered that this fitment stuff would enter the mix. This could be a deal breaker due to having to do all sorts of mods just to fit the dang thing under the hood. Please fit the manifold to the engine, no gasket, and snug up the bolts and take pics of the situation at the cowling and do your best to try to determine exactly where on the underside of the hood the FI manifold hits. Please give us an overall pic of the manifold out of the car from various angles also.

I hate to say this, but if too many issues crop up, it may be far simpler to go with a 38 on an oem manifold. But even that has risks because the manifold will then sit 1/2" higher than on a 1.9/2.0 and the top of the carb/air cleaner may hit the hood. You would then need to search for the shortest of the oem manifolds.

If the problem persists, then the next option would be to install a Midikit or a Steinmetz SSD manifold. The Midikit would fit easy, the Steinmetz would have linkage issues, but they could be solved by going with cable throttle. All issues that I have already worked out. I have the jetting scenario for a DCOE45 that should get you running and Knorm seems to be the dude with the best handle on fine tuning them, so he could held out. I also have a brand new, well regarded, Chinese Weber 45 I could provide you.

Let's hope we can find a way to get that hood closed with the FI and some shorter motor mounts first.

· Bikini Inspector
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh-oh, this doesn't sound good.

I have a pair of the shorter motor mounts. They're about 1/2" shorter.

But, by lowering the engine 1/2", you lower the engine fan 1/2", and now it's dangerously close to the bottom of the fan shroud. The fan shrouds ARE somewhat adjustable, so maybe that can be fixed. I insist on having an engine fan, but you might want to opt for an electric. I don't know about the exhaust thing, but if you go with the oem or the new shorty header you can use the stock or 2" stainless exhaust piping that use the normally positioned headpipe flange location.

What is the situation at the cowling? Is it hitting there or does the back of the plenum cylinder hit or rub against vertical area under the cowling?

I use Lenk hoods, so I have no troubles with the FI hitting the hood. This stuff is partially why I've been trying to come up with a shorter, more minimal, FI set up and the guys have been playing around with 3D printed manifolds and such that are shorter.

Is this the chromed manifold of which you spoke? I was going to suggest seeing if Charlie could hook you up with my set up, which is a 2.2 manifold with a 2.4 throttle body. Then your set up would be just like mine and the issues and solutions would be the same.

I never considered that this fitment stuff would enter the mix. This could be a deal breaker due to having to do all sorts of mods just to fit the dang thing under the hood. Please fit the manifold to the engine, no gasket, and snug up the bolts and take pics of the situation at the cowling and do your best to try to determine exactly where on the underside of the hood the FI manifold hits. Please give us an overall pic of the manifold out of the car from various angles also.

I hate to say this, but if too many issues crop up, it may be far simpler to go with a 38 on an oem manifold. But even that has risks because the manifold will then sit 1/2" higher than on a 1.9/2.0 and the top of the carb/air cleaner may hit the hood. You would then need to search for the shortest of the oem manifolds.

If the problem persists, then the next option would be to install a Midikit or a Steinmetz SSD manifold. The Midikit would fit easy, the Steinmetz would have linkage issues, but they could be solved by going with cable throttle. All issues that I have already worked out. I have the jetting scenario for a DCOE45 that should get you running and Knorm seems to be the dude with the best handle on fine tuning them, so he could held out. I also have a brand new, well regarded, Chinese Weber 45 I could provide you.

Let's hope we can find a way to get that hood closed with the FI and some shorter motor mounts first.

There is no turning back now. This setup has been done before, just need to learn of the mods necessary. The blue EFI GT I had and sold years ago had a 2.4, with 2.4 head and same manifold and hood fit fine.

I know I have to shave the hood hooks off on passenger side and trim off last 6-9 inches of hood latch bar as well.

1973 Opel GT
3,976 Posts
I applaud you guys for being guinea pigs, and will adopt what you guys figure out in future, but im a man on a mission right now and do not have a year for new manifold to come to fruition.
Would you consider the new intake design if it could be bought for under $1k and was made within a few months?

· Bikini Inspector
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you consider the new intake design if it could be bought for under $1k and was made within a few months?
you cant sell a pen to a pen salesman. I already said its not changing. My car will be running driving by the time santa's fat a$$ gets stuck in my chimney.

And fyi. this intake is a year out. prove me wrong

P.S. I ordered my chromed intake on ebay europe, then sourced a flange and had Charlies guy weld it on. Im pot committed

· Bikini Inspector
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Apparently whoever the ninkompoop was that suggested I buy a 2.0 manifold and install a flange is in fact a ninkompoop and the owner who thought they did their due diligence is a bigger ninkompoop.

After talking to GIL, a 2.2 efi manifold is on its way, and I will have no further issues. His words verbatim wer, "weve been doing this particular setup for decades and it is tried and true." lol

· Über Moderator
6,668 Posts
Any chance that you could share a photo of the 2.0 manifold installed, and then compare it to the 2.2 manifold (side by side then installed) when it arrives and is installed? Most of us have only ever seen photos of the 2.2 EFI manifold, never the real thing. And I would like to understand how the 2.0 manifold was attached to the high-port flange, and what it looked like when installed.

TIA.

· Bikini Inspector
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any chance that you could share a photo of the 2.0 manifold installed, and then compare it to the 2.2 manifold (side by side then installed) when it arrives and is installed? Most of us have only ever seen photos of the 2.2 EFI manifold, never the real thing. And I would like to understand how the 2.0 manifold was attached to the high-port flange, and what it looked like when installed.

TIA.
Yes, I can do that. I had a highport flange from RB welded onto the 2.0 manifold. Bit it sits 1/2 inch higher, and hits the hood. remedy involves adifferent motor mount and adjusting the transmission mounting angle etc. Gil scratched his head and insisted I just bail, and install a 2.2 manifold. It is the most common efi set up over the years from OGTS.

I will post pics when I receive manifold.

· Bikini Inspector
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So the pen salesman didn't realize he was using a sharpie and then went to another pen salesman and bought a Mont Blanc? :) Sound like you went all in on that pot and lost the hand.
2.0 intake is doable, but not worth the further mods, Im just improvising. and for 1/15th of your budget and 11 months sooner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts