Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just unlucky but I have put that steering shaft/fire wall rubber boot on, as of today 3 times. First time was easy as there was nothing in the way, that is nothing in the engine bay but the steering shaft. Second time took a little noodling - I first removed the coil and the gas pedal linkage which were both in the way and after an hour of trying I thought what I need to do job is find a way to hold the boot in place pushed up against the fire wall while I wiggled and played with it long enough to get it to go over the lip, that turned out to be a radiator clamp - success and in just a few minutes of trying. Putting the radiator clamp around the steering shaft was no simple matter either. So, long story short, it came off again#@%X%#@. So this time I knew what to do and was able to get it back on fairly quickly, including removing and reinstalling items about an hour total. So hopefully this will help someone else that has or will have this problem, someone that has just discovered that their boot has fallen to the bottom of the steering shaft. The final improvement is putting a black zip tie around the lip of the boot to hold it firmly in place against the lip/flange on the fire wall. That was not a simple procedure but really not bad and hopefully will eliminate the need for a repeat performance. I have gotten so much useful information from the members of this forum that given the chance I like to add something back something simple like this to hopefully help some else out and save them a little time and frustration in the process.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Those things are a giant PIA to keep attached. I have cut them down the side to make them easy to slide on and off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe I am just unlucky but I have put that steering shaft/fire wall rubber boot on, as of today 3 times. First time was easy as there was nothing in the way, that is nothing in the engine bay but the steering shaft. Second time took a little noodling - I first removed the coil and the gas pedal linkage which were both in the way and after an hour of trying I thought what I need to do job is find a way to hold the boot in place pushed up against the fire wall while I wiggled and played with it long enough to get it to go over the lip, that turned out to be a radiator clamp - success and in just a few minutes of trying. Putting the radiator clamp around the steering shaft was no simple matter either. So, long story short, it came off again#@%X%#@. So this time I knew what to do and was able to get it back on fairly quickly, including removing and reinstalling items about an hour total. So hopefully this will help someone else that has or will have this problem, someone that has just discovered that their boot has fallen to the bottom of the steering shaft. The final improvement is putting a black zip tie around the lip of the boot to hold it firmly in place against the lip/flange on the fire wall. That was not a simple procedure but really not bad and hopefully will eliminate the need for a repeat performance. I have gotten so much useful information from the members of this forum that given the chance I like to add something back something simple like this to hopefully help some else out and save them a little time and frustration in the process.

View attachment 437697
Be nice to me on this reply, but sometimes I do things differently. On this shaft boot, I do the following: I slide the boot on the shaft inside cab with the steering column removed. You may need to pull back your carpet depending on what kit or how it was installed. I put 3M trim adhesive on the shaft boot and on the body metal and slide the boot down to the body. (Note: slide the boot down to the floor AFTER you have re-installed the steering column) Not only does the adhesive keep the boot sealed and in place, the carpet helps hold it into place. It won't pop thru the firewall unless you push it thru. Any one sticking their head down there to look to see if this boot is installed correctly, just bump the hood rod, a good clunk on the back of the head will make anything look like it is on correctly. No water leaks, and NO boot slid down the shaft. Just to be clear, this is installed just like the picture above, BUT the large end (with the zip tie on it) is inside the cab floor with sealant on it.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a good alternative but the thought of taking the steering column off to acheive that well I hate that job. But guess you have to do the same thing to get it on the shaft from the outside of the car too, which is how I put mine on when I had everything disassembled. Think that Gordon has the easiest way regradless of which direction you choose to go. Something tells me that I will never have to worry about that project again as the new piece will most likely survive me. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts