Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 72 GT automatic with a Weber 32/36. Getting to the idle adjust screw drives me nuts! I stab at it with a long flat blade screw driver and try to catch the slot enough to slightly turn it. Not good.

I know there is a perfect driver out there somewhere but am at a loss as to what...Any suggestions welcome!

·
Opeler
873 Posts
It's one of the wonders of "specialty tools", which you will accumulate over the span of your Opel life. My carb tool chest would not be complete without a cheap, small flathead screwdriver with a shortened handle. Just enough handle that will allow horizontal placement for screw adjustment, and just enough to have your thumb and index finger able to twist the driver. I hated it when I couldn't find it, and always had a spare in the chest.

Wes

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
I use my fingers. If you use one hand to slightly open to the throttle you can use the other to adjust your idle screw once you get the force off of it.

If your carb is old and corroded you may have to clean that screw up to adjust by hand though. A stubby wrench will get it too.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I used the flat head driver bit without the handle from my 6 in 1 when I had the 32/36. It worked pretty well. Trying to turn it out by hand was no problem but trying to turn it in against the spring was impossible without the aide of the screwdriver piece.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
I just use the tip bit from a driver.

Reactions: wiseflock

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have one almost identical to the "SUPER STUB" above and any number of cut "shorties" to reach the 32/36 and the 38. I also silver soldered a 10mm nut onto the inside idle mix screw on the 38 so I could reach it much easier and without the heat factor. Simple fabrication is so often necessary!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing your solutions...Today I went to a nearby Menards and bought a cheap selection of flat blade and Phillips screwdrivers. The two smaller ones were closest, wife could get at the adjustment screw with the smallest flat blade, so I used the next size up and dremelled off 2/3 the handle. Voilla, an Opel specialty tool is created ! The mark of a good mechanic is how a problem is solved and you all have shown creativity in y
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas our solutions !

Keep on Opelling everyone,
JohnW

·
Registered
34 Posts
I worked for (and retired from) Motion Industries and accumulated a lot of promotional screwdrivers. I hammered the metal into the plastic handle until it was just the right size. I have several different ones for different carbs. You can still get those promotional screwdrivers from parts suppliers......just ask for them. I always had some in my desk drawers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts