Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know if you have a bad hydraulic lifter.

Is there any way to easily test them?

I had the head shaved, valve faces recut and new guide seals. The engine still has a stumble and misfire thing at idle, and even if you hold the revs up higher.

So unless I have a cracked piston, broken ring lands...(but compression was good last time I checked).......I can only think of lifters.

When the head was off I gave all the lifters a very good cleaning, I was hoping that one was gummed up. But they all looked really good for the miles on the engine.

My lifters look like these.

(Engine is C22ne, Australia)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some easy ttests

A cracked piston will give you lots of crankcase pressure
a burned or sticking intake valve will give you popping in the carburetor
A burned or sticky exhaust will pull a rag into the exhaust pipe when the engine misfires.

You might try pouring about 6 to 8 ounces of Rislone into the the engine oil ...that will flush your lifters...most of the time that will cure a sticky lifter..

The proper way to adjust your lifters is to loosen them up one at a time.at idle......until it clacks...then tighten it down slowly just enough that the clack goes away...then 1/2 to 3/4 turn tighter...(slowly down) That's it.. You will need to improvise something that goes over the timing chain or you will get an oil bath...but that's easy.. I just use some thin sheet metal and a couple of clamps

·
Registered
120 Posts
To check a cam lobe

If you think you might have a bad cam lobe...it's easy...while the cover is off and the engine is at idle...put your fingers on the top of the rocker (spring side) like you were playing a piano ..... A good cam lobe will throw your finger off the rocker....a flat cam lobe will just go up and down... that tells you the peak of the cam has worn flat...easy test with definitive results

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
The proper way to adjust your lifters is to loosen them up one at a time.at idle......until it clacks...then tighten it down slowly just enough that the clack goes away...then 1/2 to 3/4 turn tighter...(slowly down) That's it.. You will need to improvise something that goes over the timing chain or you will get an oil bath...but that's easy.. I just use some thin sheet metal and a couple of clamps
While that procedure is one way to adjust the hydraulic lifters on a CIH engine, it isn't the method I would use, nor what Opel outlines in the Factory Service Manual. That method is to set the cylinder at TDC on the firing stroke, loosen both rockers until there is clearance, and then tighten to remove the clearance and then another 3/4 turn (up to a full turn).

The "running" method of setting lifters on a CIH engine is for solid lifters, not hydraulic, except the additional turns are not done. Rocker to valve clearances should be set at 0.012" for both intake and exhaust.

Some folks seem to prefer the "running" method for hydraulic lifters, but I do not understand why they do.

And in any case, neither method may apply to the Original Poster's engine, since it is a C22NE, which is a single overhead cam engine that followed the CIH engine.

·
1,183 Posts
The "running" method of setting lifters on a CIH engine is for solid lifters, not hydraulic, except the additional turns are not done. Rocker to valve clearances should be set at 0.012" for both intake and exhaust.
.012” is for a stock cam. More aggressive cams are different. My combination cam calls for .018”. You need to know which cam you have to set the valve clearance correctly on a solid lifter engine.

·
1,582 Posts
This is not :no: A Opel CIH engine as was stated above and has no valve adjustment or rocker arms like our CIH engines.
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A cracked piston will give you lots of crankcase pressure
a burned or sticking intake valve will give you popping in the carburetor
A burned or sticky exhaust will pull a rag into the exhaust pipe when the engine misfires.

You might try pouring about 6 to 8 ounces of Rislone into the the engine oil ...that will flush your lifters...most of the time that will cure a sticky lifter..

I will try with a bit of paper or a rag at the exhaust pipe and get back to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think you might have a bad cam lobe...it's easy...while the cover is off and the engine is at idle...put your fingers on the top of the rocker (spring side) like you were playing a piano ..... A good cam lobe will throw your finger off the rocker....a flat cam lobe will just go up and down... that tells you the peak of the cam has worn flat...easy test with definitive results
Interesting way to check , pretty neat idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts