Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
Parked at 70k miles is pretty common. Usually a cracked head is the reason they get parked.
It will probably turn over. Might even run. Watch for steam in the exhaust, water in the oil or bubbles in the coolant.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Opeler
1 Posts
I would just use the starter, as said, it will either turn over or it won't and you'll have to take it apart. Using a wrench or grabbing the fan might get a little "stuckage" broken free.

It is best practice to regasket the engine at the very least before you entertain the thought of driving it. Freeing the engine up to do a compression test and maybe see if the engine will fire up and run for no more than one minute will give you an idea of where you are at with the engine.

Opel engines have a chronic problem with vacuum leaks at the intake manifold-to-head gasket, the carb-to-intake manifold, and the hoses going to the intake manifold and this is the reason that many perfectly fine Opels end up in a barn with 70K miles on them: One day they just won't start, even though they have plenty of spark and fuel and everything else about the engine is just fine. The six bolts that hold the intake/exhaust manifolds to the engine are "shared" between the 2 manifolds and they are torqued slightly less(33 ft/lbs) than bolts that size are normally torqued to. Normally, bolts that size would get torqued to 45-50 ft/lbs elsewhere on the car. This is because the exhaust manifold gets red hot and expands, but the intake manifold will be much cooler with fresh air flowing through it and it doesn't hardly expand at all. This creates a thickness differential at the bolting flanges of the manifolds. Those 4 middle bolts are simultaneously holding the intake/exhaust on. If you tighten those bolts to 45-50 the exhaust manifold expansion, when it gets red hot, will snap the heads of the bolts off, so they are torqued to 33 ft/lbs. But this is a fraction too loose to stand the test of time and those bolts slowly unscrew over time and one day your car won't start. Long time Opelers know to check the tightness of those bolts once a year or whenever the car gets finicky to start. It's darn near impossible to fit a torque wrench on those 4 middle bolts, so torquing them is often done by "feel".

I parked mine in the garage about 25 years ago because it would not idle correctly and I haven't tried to start it since. This is probably what was wrong with it. I had the carb off several times thinking it was the carb.

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I parked mine in the garage about 25 years ago because it would not idle correctly and I haven't tried to start it since. This is probably what was wrong with it. I had the carb off several times thinking it was the carb.
I started it and it doesn't idle that great so we might get a single diaphagm distributor which should give better performance and should work better.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts