Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a quote from a shop to work on my valve guides. My #2 cylinder has lower compression than the other 3 cylinders. And we seem to think it's the valve guide. I got a quote of $1200! $750 was for labor!!!

Does this sound right to everyone?

Anyways, I'd like to tackle this myself. I figure it's "just" unbolting the head and sending it to a shop to have the valve guides worked on, right?

Now please enlighten me as to why it's not "just" unbolting the head.

What special tools will I need and are there torque values that I should know about before tightening everything up?

Thanks,

Manny

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
you are first going to have to get a workshop manuel or you will be in big trouble
after a good read of the engine section you can then start
good luck

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
for thay price you might as well get a race head from Rogers Opel enginering.
and yes it sounds like you are going to get screwed there.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
My best count to pull a head is 34 bolts and all pretty easy. The last head I took in to have guides, seals, valve grind and hardened seats cost 450. He also checked the springs and did some modest porting for free. If you can do the labor it should be alot cheaper.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Workshop Manual

baz said:
you are first going to have to get a workshop manuel or you will be in big trouble
after a good read of the engine section you can then start
good luck
Is Chilton's manual on Opel's sufficient for the task of removing and replacing the head?

Thanks,

Manny

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
yes the 1.9 is pretty much the same to work on ,on any model the only things you need special are 12 point spline keys i think they are m8 and m12 do a search for head removal and im sure you will find the right size and where to get them

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
I agree with Jeff, worn valve guides won't cause low compression. Low compression can be caused by worn or broken rings, a pitted valve seat, lightly bent valves, a burned valve, or a blown head gasket. A cracked head can also cause low compression, but that is normally accompanied by increased coolant temps and a highly pressurized coolant system (usually causing coolant overflow).

Excessively worn valve guides will allow the valves to rock, so they may contribute to valve seat erosion which may cause low compression. Worn guides will be apparent if you have excessive oil smoke at start-up.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts