Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one has opened their gt up? how fast does it really go? how long does it take to get to top out? do yuo have a stock engine or modified? thanks, and lets me know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have never topped out my 71 GT but I have gotten it up to 90 mph on the local interstate. I have a rebuilt stock 1.9 engine with a highlift cam with the standard 4-speed. I have just about finished rebuilding the front and rear suspension, all new engine, transmission and drivetrain mounts. I want to install a Getrag 5-speed and maybe some mods like porting the intake manifold and installing a 2" exhaust system. When I finish my restoration maybe I will see what she can really do!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i havent really topped mine out, but does about 5500 at 100-105MPH, its a 71 GT, completely stock with 69K. it still had a little more but dont need to be buzzin the motor like that for that long, little bursts dont bother me though.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
103mph on a long straight away with a forgotten hump in the middle of that road. I went airborn I don't know how far up, but it came down HARD!

That was the first and probably last time I will ever climb into a stock GT and attempt that.

As for the Manta, 80 on the interstate without even thinking about it (also stock).

In my younger years, the fastest I have drive was 120mph in a 171V6 Pinto (also factory).

·
Registered
44 Posts
When my '72 was bone stock, it was the slowest car I had ever owned.
I gave it a milled big valve head and lumpy cam last spring, and it really helped with upper rpm acceleration. I couldn't tell you how fast the car will go..I don't think I'm that brave....

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
In the 69 that was perfectly stock. I saw 120 but it took 4 straight miles of highway to get there and it had nothing left. I got the turbo GT to 140 in a little over 2 miles and it had plenty left, but it was built to quarter mile. With one that I did everything I could do to a 1.9 but left the rest stock went to 110 in about 3/4 of a mile on a regular basis. Current car has alot of power but I don't know what the 5 speed brings to the party. It doesn't have liscense plates yet.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
This is a recording;)

A lot of years ago, at dark thirty at night, my 72 GT "INDICATED" 150 MPH at 7000 RPM. It took 3 1/2 miles to get there, and a long time. I had a Weber on it and the stingers on the resonator were cleaned out (the VW type silencers were removed). The car was still accelerating, slowly, but I ran out of road too soon, coming up on an intersection with traffic lights. Some months later, going down a 6% 17 mile grade, the CHP was unhappy. In a new pursuit 5.0 Mustang he was unable to catch me going down the grade although he was going 110 MPH during the chase. After he saw the stock engine in the car, he gave me a speeding ticket for going 7 MPH over the speed limit.

Ron

·
Registered
74 Posts
The fastest I've had my GT is about 50 MPH. The engine has a lot more, but given the condition of the brakes, suspension, and tires at the time, 50 was even too risky. I'm working on it though, so I'll let you know once it's safe ;)

In my old stock '74 Manta I topped it out at 95 a couple of times. I'm guessing I was actually going over 100 since the tires were not the stock size. The engine needed work though and I never got a chance to fix it up before I had to sell it. I still was able to consistently beat my friend's '71 Maverick with a straight 6 though :D Never got a chance to top out the '75 1900, but as far as accelleration it was the quickest stock Opel I've had.

The top speed ever for me is 120 in a '93 Camaro Z-28. It had no problem at all getting up there and wanted to go more, but I was running out of road (and guts ;) )

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Don't know about a GT but 222 kilometers in a 1972 Manta with a vega carb, on autobon 1 dropping down from the Kasel sweep between Geissen and Bad Herseld heading back to Fulda.

toasted the head and blew a gasket but it is as fast as I have ever driven in a Manta.

I am sure my current Manta would go faster but I have a fuel starvation problem with the duel webers... so it gets cranky at 6000rpms or so

I need 48's or 50ies

C

·
Registered
12 Posts
when i first got my '70 it had the crappiest runnin motor i could imagine. if you held the pedal to the floor it wouldn't rev past like 4500. so the fastest i've ever had it up was about 80 when i was racing a caprice. me and my brother thought that the reason it wasn't revving up was the carburetor(solex piece of crap). so we decided to put a rochester 2 barrel from like a 305 on it. we had to round out the holes a little but it fit. we finally got it started and we could peg the tach with the rochester, but the funny thing i remember was that the entire header was glowin bright cherry red. it was so funny. i beat the crap out of the motor and it ran till the day i pulled it out, and now have a v6 sittin in it's place

·
Registered
35 Posts
well the fastest i think i have had my bone stock gt was about 120 i dont have a speedo so i had my brother pace me next to me and we gave it about everything it had i dont remember what rpm i was runing cuzz the tires needed balanced so i has more consurned with keeping it on the road the fastest iv ever been is 130 in my freinds acura

·
Registered
29 Posts
speed hahah

the fastest ive had my baby was 110mph, i was racing my friend in his pacer hahaha great fun, but on a sad note. my dad and i had just finished redoing the entire drivetrain( sand blasting painting) making it look all purty and stuff and GUESS WHAT. on the way back from the mechanics we were averaging maybe 45 mph at the most, got about 3 blocks from the house. BOOM the rear end seized up, maybe the bearings of pinon? so if anybody has a extra rear end laying around email me, need all the help i can get. here is my email, [email protected] thanks for readin

·
1,175 Posts
My brother has said that he had his GT up to 130 mph but the front end was starting to lift up so he slowed down. I forget what year his was. Mine, at the time (in the mid to late 70's) was a 1970.

BDD

·
802 Posts
70 gt

I had my 70 gt in 71 to almost 120 by speedo, but who know how true it was, also run 1/4 mile with the car in Q purestock in 1970/1971, never got beat in class, forget the times tho.long time ago. I just bought my forth gt last week, had it to 70 on way home, need to get to know it better before it goes any faster.:D

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
An indicated 120+mph through Kansas for at least an hour in my 2.0L GT (when it still had a front airdam). I believe it was at least a true 115. Might have gone faster if I hadn't forgotten to swap the POINTS out for my Pertronix beforehand.

Fastest I ever personally drove was an INDICATED 165mph in a Hennessey Viper Venom. Slowed down when the back end started getting twitchy (even with its bigass rear wing spoiler).

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
in the gt
best ive had with the CIH engine was an indicated 132 mph @6500RPM (38 DGAS and mesh air filter)
it must of been close to true as i did 278 miles in 2 hours 20 min not all on motorways (interstates for the cousins)
with a lotus 2Litre in 153MPH indicated @7500RPM(twin 48 DCOE)
front end light but not to hard to control

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
hey i remver someone saying if u sand blast the rear end with out taping off certain parts it will deystroy the seal's and cause a seize up in-side the rear axle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my nearly stock 73 gt up to 110 she coulda gone faster but I chickened out.

Fastest I've ever been was in a 70 cougar going 156MPH

·
Registered
18 Posts
In a new 70 I ran a indicated 120 at a little over 6000 rpm, I later got a ticket for running 112 (115 indicated). I had a 73 in the mid80's that I could never get more then about 5400 rpm in 4th gear 110 indicated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I had my first Opel back in 1988, my 1970 GT Indicated 143MPH. This was after miles of driving as fast as my stupid little High School mind could.

On a separate incident I found out that if the car takes to the air, the back end loved to fly. Frighteningly enough, it would not do it straight. The back would fly high and to the right.

...and another time, I found out that when you hit a deep pothole filled with rainwater at 120MPH, and the entire car shutters from the pain, as long as you are going straight, you won't even notice the blowout on the front right side until you slow down for the upcoming stopsign..

Engine was stock.. Had a new Weber Carb.... I really miss that car.

Thankfully I lived through all the stupidity, as did the Opel.. ;-)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts