door chrome trim
gas cap rubber seal
all emblems
front grille
windshield wipers
licens plates front rear
rear deck above gas tank
headlights and buckets

thats about all i think i need to put on im gonna try and complete the task in an hour to an hour and a half, and all in faith not scratch the brand new paint job. anthor key hting i did i laid out all of the parts in there respected locations on hte ground so when i pull my gt in it will be right by each part.
well ill post how long it takes to acomplish this tommorow.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
The first time I gave my GT a full paint job, I think I re-assembled it in two days. That was a full "body stripped" paint job, with no bumpers, lights, chrome, door handles, etc. But I left the doors on, and the windshield and windows in place. That was in 1979,and I was 21. No wife, no kids, no mortgage. No trouble getting it done in a weekend.

The next rebuild was started in 1985. One wife, and now three kids have happened. Well, lets see. I started the re-assembly in 1986. And then decided the body needed some more rust repairs in 1988. And decided it needed the engine partially rebuilt. And then I had it ready for primer in 1989. Did the interior in 1988, and THAT can't go back in before the paint. And then the transmission "needed" a re-build, and so did the differential, and the rear suspension bushings. But with all that new stuff, maybe the engine should be built to a higher standard? And why not paint the engine compartment BEFORE the engine goes back in. And while the engine was out, why not drop the front suspension clip, and disassemble, sand blast and re-build it with poly bushings. And new rotors, and new calipers. And there is NO sense in going to all this trouble without a re-cored radiator. And re-built headlight rotators. And headlight wiring. And now high compression pistons and a hotter cam and a 38 DGAS. And a new headliner. And so on.

So, the first time, it takes two days. But watch out for the second time. It can take 20 years!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i honestly wouldnt try to do it in twice the time you've given. its new paint, just take it slow. you wanna make sure all your bumpers are lined up nice and that all your lights have good connections when you put them back, just test all the electricals as you go. i'd give it a decent part of a good full day. to put the bumpers, headlights, wheels, all glass, door panels, package tray and other misc. things took me about 6 hours with help putting the windshield and back glass in.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well funniest thing about my situation is this is about my 5th time taking off and putting every thing back on in the past 18 months or so, so i am kinda like in a mode were i no what every thing needs were it goes and all this i just want to try and get in done in and hour and a half so i can show it off today as well, wish me luck and its off to wrok i go.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well got the car today but only had about 30 minutes to work on it dindt get it all done but i think anthor half hour to an hour to finish it all up, my paint job came out better the second time then it did the first time when they painted it wrong, will post pics soon of the new paint job it really looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm in the opposite mode- I'm taking it all off. But I have a question. How the heck do you line up the lock insert on the door handle? I took them off and thought I would practice putting it back on before the new paint is on. Tried about 5 times in a 110 degree garage and finally gave up. I need guidance from the door latch gurus on the list- I don't want any problems with the new paint on. :confused:

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i think u mean the pin thing that comes out of the door handle and actuates the mechanism in the door to open it. if yes it is very easy once u figure it out u have to find the angle at which the back part ofg the assembly will fully fit into the hole then if u look in thru the hole befor u do this u will find a little slot in there u have align that pin with the hole it takes a minute or two and it can be esay to scratch the paint if u arent carefull but practice a few times and ull get the hang of it.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
as pvcar said, not bad once you figure it out. reach your other arm up throught he back side of the door if its small enough and you can help guide the pin into its slot. push the door handle button in while your trying to get it together. makes it alot easier to see and try to put it together at the same time.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks Smurf and PV- the info was right on- tried to insert 4 times this moring and hit 3 out of 4 time. Guess the first try didin't count cause you got to have the window up in order to get your arm up by the lock. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts