Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week Susan and I took an hour drive, one way, to Georgetown, SC and OMG was it hot. By the time we got home we were getting close to heat stroke - it really was uncomfortable with the high humidity and temps in the low 90's. Even with the fact that it was partly cloudy it was damn close to unbearable. During that drive Susan noticed that hot air was blowing on her from under the padded console - well with out AC in the car I had to put a stop to that. So today I took a one inch piece of foam and cut it 61/2 by 81/2 by ten inches long - may not need to be that large - perhaps just large enough to cover the shifter hole, from below, would most likely be enough. So I cut a straight line in the foam and placed it over the shifter and pushed it through the transmission hole and then used contact cement and glued it around the hole and when dry I then sealed the edges as well so air can not enter the shifter boot area any more. this will reduce forced air from being blown under the padded console into the car. I also doubled up a bit by adding 1inch by 1 inch foam strips on the sides of the padded console and at the back just to be sure. Those strips were installed from the back, of the padded console, toward the front about 8 inches and a strip between the two side strips across the back closest to the hand/emergency brake. Between the two fixes I feel pretty confident that no hot air will be blowing in throw the cracks and the air in the boot should be a little cooler as well. I plan to spray the added foam from under the car with a clear sealer to water proof it - not that I plan to drive it in the rain but you never know. The shifter boot fit back in place the same as it had prior to the foam installation project. Don't know how much this will help but can't hurt, eh.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,940 Posts
I must say...that looks for all the world like a Muppet butt-crack!

As I recall, the old Alfas (105 series spider and GTVs) had two boots to create a dead air space. I think one was rubber and the upper one was leather.

Reactions: MattsAwesomeStuff

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
I must say...that looks for all the world like a Muppet butt-crack!

As I recall, the old Alfas (105 series spider and GTVs) had two boots to create a dead air space. I think one was rubber and the upper one was leather.
Lower one was leatherette and the top boot was rubber.

The foam is a good solution if you never get exposed to water or rodents.

Reactions: opelbits

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
yep that's right Lindsay,
I had to fiddle with mine the other day and all though still snapped together and in tack I didn't want to push my luck LOL

·
Opeler
729 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts