Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many GT's are left today and how many still drive?

does anyone know,how many gt-s are left today and how many
still drive???
how much does a gt costs today??
top condition(restored),and not restored
driving condition(restored) and not restored
wreckcondition
how many 1971's where build??

a good 2003 to all!!

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Here in the U.S. around where I live in Tennessee about 5% of the Opels are in driveable condition. I would say about 40% of the others are restorable, and the other 55% are only good for parts. The problem is that 55% keeps getting bigger every year.

According to O.A.N.A. total production for 1971 was 14,715.

A running car that needs work will go for around $1,500 to $2,500. A restored GT goes for $4,500 to $8,000 and up.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
How many GTs left

Does anyone have any idea how many GTs are still up and running after all these years? It would be interesting to see some stats, listing them by the country, number sold vs number surviving/still registered. I understand quite a few have made a "round trip" across the ocean. It's kinda hard to believe that such an interesting car is still relatively affordable. People have said they aren't rare, yet it is very rare to see them except at a meet or something similar. Anyone have some info?

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well theres 4,000 members registered to the site and just from a guess most of the members own a gt or manta , sport wagon, or they have one or several of each so i estimate that about half if not more of the members on this site own a gt or some other configuration of opel cars, it would be interesting i forget but when u register to this site do u have to put what car or cars u have that would be a good way to find out a close number. or maybe post a pole of who owns what kind of cars.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
None were ever sold new in New Zealand and there are at least five here now. That's a prety good survival rate!

Das Grosse Opel GT Buch quotes the number exported to the U.S.A. as 70,222 so with a 10% survival rate there could be 7,000 still running and up to 20,000 still stashed away in varrious states of disrepair.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
and we no how well our gts last when not taking care of properlly, i would bet if i had to guess theres between 4000 and 8000 gts still in existence, and probally 5000 still in somewhat running condition or fully restored or some where in between.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hrm i'm in canada vancouver i get the feeling i'm the only one who owns this car never seen one on the street

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Welcome!

ve39 said:
hrm i'm in canada vancouver i get the feeling i'm the only one who owns this car never seen one on the street
Ah! But you have met us now so you are not alone.

Welcome to the OpelGT, World Wide, Community

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
ve39 said:
I'm in Calgary (home of the Flames, the NHL Western Conference Champions, apologies to Vancouver, Detroit and San Jose, as of tonight), and I know of at least 7 here. There are probably 10 or 15 more, all except a few hiding in various garages and back yards. So there are probably double that in Vancouver. I believe we have a couple of Vancouver-area members.

A while back, there was a determination that approximately 14,000 GT's were still registered in the U.S. (out of something like 74,000 imported to the States, and another 6,000 that came to Canada). I believe it was one of the German members on the classicopel list that provided that statistic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeap probably there is some more GTs in vancouver but i never seen one on the roads guess like you said in the back yards

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
kwilford said:
A while back, there was a determination that approximately 14,000 GT's were still registered in the U.S. (out of something like 74,000 imported to the States, and another 6,000 that came to Canada). I believe it was one of the German members on the classicopel list that provided that statistic.
That is closer to 20% survival rate for registered ones so there must be even more lying about in yards and feilds too! Probably as many again or even more.

·
1,219 Posts
GT's left

I live in a small town in the mountains of Virginia. only 15000 people in the entire county yet there are
1 GT in good condition
1 GT setting in a garage - could be restored
3 GT's setting in a field (mostly complete)
2 GT's setting in a field ( in pieces )
1 GT that is drivable and extremely modified ( 1959 cadillac tail fins )
and rumors of several others that I have yet to locate.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
My best guestimate for NY state is around a total of 20 on the road. Maybe 100 off the road in various states.

Is there a way you can check with the state DMV to see the numbers of registered makes of cars?

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
In 1992 I paid to find out how many registered GT's were left in the US. At that time, there were about 6200 registered. So that averages to about 125 per state. I also had a survey which I sent to my customers, and I received approximately 500 of those back. Of those who replied, the average number of GT's owned by each customer was 2.8, even though many had only one car registered.

I suspect there may be more cars registered now than there were back then.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Hi!

About 2000 GT's were still registered here in Germany. But the most US-Imports are not in this statistics, so there are a few hundred more still runnning.

Bastian

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I brought my yellow GT home to Tallahassee, I thought I would be the only one in town with one, as I have never seen any driving around town. However, another board member lives here and has two yellow GT's himself. Then, on Centerville Rd, there are 4 GT's within just a mile or so of each other. I also know of two at local junkyards and one sitting in a field. I learned about all these cars in just the last 2 months, so I would guess there are a few others in the area that I have yet to find. I am amazed at the number that are still around.

Jim

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 1 registered and 2 others, one in bad shape for parts and one to eventually restore. The one that is registered is my race car and never is driven on the streets, but it has a collector plate that is a permanent registration.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Number of GT's left

Over here in the UK, Opel officially imported 163 GT's between 68-73. The UK Opel GT Owners Club currently has 66 members but I'd hazard a guess that in the UK you could probably be count on anywhere from 100-200 cars, as with most cars they keep just appearing when you least expect it, in the last year alone I've come across 10 cars that aren't registered to the club...that might not be a lot in the States but over here it's a huge number

Until last week I never knew there where any 1.1 GT's in the Uk and then one suddenly appeared, you can imagine how disappointed I was when I missed out buying it by just a day!

The funny thing was the new owner didn't even realise how rare the 1.1 was until I told him, he's obviously quite pleased now though!....lcuky man.

As with most of the European countries we to have a fair few US imports here, and that's not a bad thing......how else would I have owned 5 (this number could increase any day now!)...yipee

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Many years ago I found (and bought) a 1932 REO Speedwagon laying in the weeds. During the restoration process I noticed an ad in the back of Hemmings Motor News for a company that would research by state vehicle registration how many vehicles of such model were registered. For $25.
By the way, I sent them $25 and a photocopy of the title and the info stamped on the ID tag above the windshield. They sent my check back with a note saying there were no 1932 REO Speedwagon Model 1B's registered in the US...
So, any method of counting GT's would miss a lot of them hidden in falling down barns and parked in junk rows down by the creek...
I'd bet more are parked than driven, would be fun to go out and gather them up and find them loving homes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts