Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a bunch of Opels and a bunch of keys for each one of them. One for the doors another for the ignition and yet another for the gas cap. I had a wagon that took 4. I was looking at a set of Handles for the GT and that meant new keys again but these are nice and mine look hammered, literally. I pulled out a key assembly I have no key for and started looking at it and wondering.

There is one pin that holds the entire tumbler in place and when pulled it all comes out the key end. I put the key from the newer door handles in and I could see very clearly the ones that weren't right. With the aid of a belt sander and small file I now have a matched set. Makes me wanna go pull the gas cap apart. Can you imagine a GT that took one key?

How many keys do you guys have?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well, most of my GTs i've had havent had any keys. one had 3, ignition, gas cap, and door handles as yours. my GT has matching key for door locks and ignition, but dont have a key for my gas cap.

2 for me

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Box Stock, Dave, the GT comes with two keys, one for doors and ignition, and one for the gas cap. At least that's what I had on both the 71 and 72.

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Lots of Opels LOTS of keys!

Best story, one Opel--different key for ignition, gas cap and each door!

Took the ignition key and gas cap key to Carlisle since all my other Opels have 2 keys each.......

Long story short---Gene had to pick the locks for me to get the dang car off the trailer! :eek:

Vickie

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember that story, Why do ya think Opel decided on multiple keys?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok speaking from a rekey point of view the gas cap is a pill and seems to need dynomite to take apart. The Door handles ...suck to get to the tumblers and the ignition is a piece of cake. I chose a new ignition key assembly and made it match the gas cap. Then I worked the nice handles apart and reworked them to match the same key. After installation I'll have a GT that takes 1 key for everything. Working with good chrome just adds a degree of difficulty. It can be done and lets just hope I don't loose that key.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts