Votes: 0 0.0%
  • > 500,000 (oldopelguy territory)

Votes: 3 1.3%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was inspired by oldopelguy's post about his Kadett with 547,238 miles on it (completely stock). Holy Opel, Batman! ;)

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=17533#post17533

I thought my GT was high with 199,000. Curious as to what others are getting out of theirs. I'm going to round up to 200K personally, cause as soon as I get the brakes rebuilt, I'm making up for lost time ;)

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
there are 2500 miles on my Manta now since the prolonged and still ongoing rebuild. Everything but the torque tube, glass, wiring and interior are new or newish old stock parts. ( the trany works finally) So I bet I have one of the least amount of miles currently.:D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
AND you would be WRONG . . . I am original owner of a 1975 1900 with 1095 miles, stored for 28 years, never licensed and purchased from original dealer in July 2003 and then titled and licensed in Texas in August.

Otto's 1975 Ascona A

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
My 1972 GT has done 104,798 miles and is getting its second major body rebuild - the PO (Ist owner) had it redone in 1985 after a minor rear ender and I am now repairing the ravages of the "delightful" panel shop that did that repair.

Those are on the road miles. It has also travelled from Bochum to Boston; then to Hawaii; on to Mexico and out here to Auckland in New Zealand from whence I shipped it down to Christchurch.
Don't think to many GTs have that much sea milage on them!
Probably accounts for some of the (now gone!!) RUST.

·
Administrator
10,272 Posts
tekenaar said:
AND you would be WRONG . . . I am original owner of a 1975 1900 with 1095 miles, stored for 28 years, never licensed and purchased from original dealer in July 2003 and then titled and licensed in Texas in August.

Otto's 1975 Ascona A
Quite the find Otto!! That is a museum piece!!

I thought my 1951 Olympia with 41,000 miles was "low miles" :D

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
shame

When I bought my wagon 2 years ago it only had 84k miles on it. Now it has 114k, so I guess I'm not properly doing my part for keeping it a low mile origional.

Oh well, it's a ton more fun to drive it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought a GT that has 227,000 miles on it. Runs fine, though it burns a bit of oil. I'm planning on rebuilding it anyway and trying out some of the hp mods I've been reading about here.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
My Dad's GT, the first one I ever saw , had about 100,000 on it when he got it back in 1977-or 78. It was a 71. He put in a new clutch in then and it went to about 200,000. I was amazed he went almost 100,00 miles on a single clutch. I got his GT in 86 and immediately the clutch shed its remainig bit of disk so I did a complete engine rebuild using the high compression pistons along with a new clutch, p/p, t/o bearing. It didn't need a rebuild really bad, used about a quart of oil between changes, never touched the rear. It also got a new paint job around that time. It looked good and ran execellent even with points and a Solex. It was a good little car, I put a bunch of miles going back and forth to school for about a year and a half. I went to Jefferson County Community College in Hillsborough, Missouri. Let's hear it for the "Show Me State"- Hurrah! And that's where I sold it before I moved to NJ, a young fellow in my electronics class bought it and I never heard a thing about it since. I put a lot of time and work into that car and often wonder if any of them good ole boys from Mo. are still running around in my and my Dad's old GT. Flame red and black interior, it was a looker! and a runner!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Gary said:
Quite the find Otto!! That is a museum piece!!

I thought my 1951 Olympia with 41,000 miles was "low miles" :D
And THEN there's my gold 1969 Kadett LS Rallye that I bought in Seattle a few months ago with a little over 26K original miles on the clock.

Otto's ~30K mile Kadett LS

Drove her back, with points no less, through 7 states over 4 days and with only 3 minor glitches, all fixed on the road. Then, when I got home, fixed MAJOR oil leak at front of head (replaced head gasket), rebuilt original twin canister distributor, replaced resonator with NOS part and rebuilt original Solex to return car to complete stock condition and then drove it to our Texas OAA meet in Houston 2 weeks after my trip back from Seattle. There are now just over 30K miles on the clock. :p

·
273 Posts
...first liar hasn't got a chance....

I bought my blue GT "Opie" in 1977 with 84,000 miles on it. only thing I did to the engine was put on a new timing chain in 1981. Drove it another 220,000 miles to 2 different jopbs for over 20 years, and am still driving it--occationally.
It has not got much power but I just want to see how many decades that little 4-banger will go. Starts every time.

JJ

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
not older... but better

215,00 on the clock.no rattles,rebuilt solid suspesion..1st owner ran her oil dry..second engine($300-1970 junk yard engine) was installed 70,000 miles ago. With all the parts from OGTS and the help from this website(pertronix ignition,etc)..

think about this...

If I could only buy a "flux capacitor"... and take celeste back to say 75-76 she could hold her own against any Fiat,MG triumph etc with say 50,000 miles...in looks or speed...

beautiful sunny day in KC MO..I will have to cover her on the lot at work ...too protect her skin...you know red heads tend to burn..

just my 2 cents..you guys and gal(i have ony heard of one gal on this site)..have a great day!:D

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
well thay say a picture paints a 1000 words

·
Opeler
8 Posts
155,623 miles as of this morning. I bought my 71 GT off of the original owner back in 84 with just over 50,000 miles on it. It served as my main mode of transport through high school (with a year or two of autocrossing), college and my first few years at a real job. It went out of service for few years once I got an RX-7 Twin Turbo to drive while I stripped it down to the bare metal for paint. It took forever to get it reassembled but I finished up earlier this year and have enjoyed the heck out of driving it again. There are a lot of years worth of memories in this one and I see no reason it won't have another 100,000 happy miles put on it in the years to come.

·
2,054 Posts
131,569 miles (I think)
My GT was abandoned in 1983 after being stripped down as a "Project" by the PO. The owner of the property it was sitting on said it was mine if I towed it away and left a bottle of red wine in its place. Later, after re-assembling & painting, it was rear-ended & totaled in 2000. I bought it back under salvage title. This time I'm upgrading the interior, sound system, engine, body, and paint. It's intended use is for occasional weekend fun.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
For me this is a trick question, the car was nothing but a collection of parts when I got it. Even the majority of them didn't belong to it. There is no record of milage on the car and as for the speedos that were with it, I used a totally different one. Every piece on the car was redone or replaced so I am going to call this speedo correct. 26 miles is what this car has on it and I've driven it 3. I think I will ask DMV to see if they will call it actual.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I have a friend who rebuilt an old truck and when finished he got Dmv to roll back odometer to 0 and call it actual. It was because of being like mine with no real history and the money he spent on it. It was an early 70's ford with around 1000 miles on it. I forget what percentage of original cost it took, seems like 300 or so percent.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
A friend of mine in the dog community has a frame-off restored Buick GSX, 455 cu. in. Stage I, 4 speed, 2 door hardtop. When he was done with the car, he drove it to the local DMV to get it registered and they allowed him to "Zero" the odometer. Everytime I go to visit, he hands me a large towel when we look at the car, I can't stop drooling over it. :D

Ron

·
Opeler
29 Posts
my opel has 157,000 miles on it. about 12,000 on the engine, and it's only been driven 20 miles in the last 6 months. i get it inspected tomorrow morning and im ready to make up for lost time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts