Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light weight? Heavy Weight?

Howdy all! I am looking for the weight of an OPEL GT, Any year would do, as long as you mention the year. I am interested in the weight of a complete car, with engine, trans, complete inteior, in running condition, with no FG parts. I have a project in mind and I am looking for a light car as the start of the project. I would also like to know what the weight of the engine, by it self, with no tranny, weighs.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
About 275 lbs for the engine.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well my 2120 was also with a few extras in the car such as back pack and other small things which when put toghter can way alot so if ur looking for a light car jus think of all the stuff u can remove and get that weight down to under 2000Lb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I WAS trying to post a huge reply but had an IE error, before I could hit post. Anyway, the short version is I am planning on putting a small 4 cyl turbo diesel in a light car with a 4-5 speed manuel trans to try to reach 100MPG. Any comments? (besides "your crazy" I get that alot...) :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Big Nose, you're gonna need a special gearset to be able to get up to speed at the low RPM a diesel lives in. Most diesels only go to 3750 RPM max and with a standard 4-speed that will get you around 70 MPH, maybe a little more. With a low rear end, numerically, you'll have a little bit more top end and with a 5-speed, normally the 5th gear is an overdrive. Now if you want to idle around and take forever to get where you want to go, and maybe get your target 100 MPG, stay with a stock gearbox and rear-end. JMTCW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
namba209 said:
Big Nose, you're gonna need a special gearset to be able to get up to speed at the low RPM a diesel lives in. Most diesels only go to 3750 RPM max and with a standard 4-speed that will get you around 70 MPH, maybe a little more. With a low rear end, numerically, you'll have a little bit more top end and with a 5-speed, normally the 5th gear is an overdrive. Now if you want to idle around and take forever to get where you want to go, and maybe get your target 100 MPG, stay with a stock gearbox and rear-end. JMTCW.

Top speed is not that important, 70MPH is a nice cruising speed, MAX speed of 80, is fine. I live in NY and the speed limit is 55, so I am looking for max tourqe at that speed. IF this works, heh, I would take it one step further and search around for after market parts that are super light weight, such as rears,FG body parts, and possibly a custom chassis. Anyone on the eastcoast have a donor car? Cheap? Free??

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Opel Diesel Record Wagen

Hi, Opel themselves built a special diesel powered GT - a one off special using a 2.1 litre Opel diesel engine. It was used to set "speed" records rather than "mpg" records. It is covered in "Das Grosse Opel-GT-Buch" by Dieter Gunther & Walter Wolf and published by Heel. ISBN 3-9222858-32-5
All the text is in German but copies of it, and a later version, can be found from time to time on eBay. They ran it up to near 197.49 kph (122.719 mph!)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
A Kadett 3.18 rear axle with a Getrag 240 5-speed might be ideal. With a .805 overdrive you'd have a 2.56 final drive, and with 165/80-13 tires this equates to 2500 rpms @ 71+ mph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTJIM said:
Hi, Opel themselves built a special diesel powered GT - a one off special using a 2.1 litre Opel diesel engine. It was used to set "speed" records rather than "mpg" records. It is covered in "Das Grosse Opel-GT-Buch" by Dieter Gunther & Walter Wolf and published by Heel. ISBN 3-9222858-32-5
All the text is in German but copies of it, and a later version, can be found from time to time on eBay. They ran it up to near 197.49 kph (122.719 mph!)
I may be crazy. Seems someone beat me too it....

An average speed of 141 mph over 24 hours (at an average 31.4 mpg)
Top speed of 160.2 mph
Best fuel consumption in Economy run: 111.2 mpg

http://www.hydro.com/en/press_room/features/opel_speedster.html

I know mine would not hit 160MPH, unless it was dropped from a F18....and 111 mpg? if it was being towed and I left the gas cap off, MAYBE... But I dont give up that quick. My purpoose of building this car is so I can get that mpg, and I seriously doubt they would sell me the opel. Do they take a check? :D

AND VW is stealing my ideas also... :D

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-vw-1-liter-car.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW I saw a nice Opel GT, Gray/charcol(?) with flaired wheel wells, today on on Herricks RD in Long Island. He had a flat, and I drive a huge truck so I could not stop. I hope it wasnt anyone here.

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
hi big nose just read this and wondered is that engine for static use?
if so it will not have a torque spread wide enough to use in a car (statics for generators and such tend to run at a constant rev range)
i would ask before buying

and ron we must get you out a bit more euro/jap diseaseseisel's rev to 6000 and with a snail on the side make real good power

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Baz, You're right, I've got to get out more, or read more books, one of the two. :D

I wasn't considering the diesels in cars, just the big rigs, (tractors and trailer), the ones we have here pulling 60 foot trailers, or two 40 foot trailers, with up to a dozen speed gear boxes and dual speed differentials. It's awful being so cloistered and shut in with nothing to do but work on the GT. :)

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
hi pb where are you in fl and keep your hands close by your sides as some of these folks can get vicious for a free gt:)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
yes baz, we do get viscious, i've picked up 3 Free GTs with a whole lotta parts since march. 2 ran and drove even!!!

·
792 Posts
RallyBob said:
About 275 lbs for the engine.
Would that be for the head and short block both minus starter, alternator, manifolds, carb?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.