Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I build a new engine for my GT I want to know how much it weighs. Anyone know???

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmm

So to get 2100 lbs down the 1/4 mile in less than 11 seconds, I need around a 310 hp motor. Does that seem right?

What are you guys/gals running as far as engine, hp, and 1/4 mile times?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is this the same car you want to put a rear seat in Husker? ;) <wink>

I'm betting that the VAST majority of opelers are running well under half that HP. The stock 1.9s cranked what, up to 102 hp or something very close to it. Mine cranks exaclty 0hp right now :(

Talking 1/4 mile reminds me of a mildly funny situation though. The guy that lived across the street and one house over from my mom about 10 years ago was an Oldsmobile junkie. He was building a ~70 Cutlass drag car in his garage, but it was his tow vehicle/daily driver that got my attention. He drove a ~75 Olds Station Wagon with a 455 under the hood. It sounded mean :) Well, to make a long story short, he was tired of not being able to go to the track, so he took his Wagon out there. Ran low 15s all night long - and consistent as hell. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
speaking of funny stories, although this isnt really a 1/4 mile story its still funny. a parent of a friend i have does street racing. he said about a guy recently that bought a top of the line acura, and put NOS into it. so the guy is ripping down the road, and he hits the nos when his engine starts topping off. when he hits the nos, his engine starts goin crazy, he blows 2 pistons (if memory serves me correctly) through the hood, and his car flips backwards onto its roof. thing was scrap metal, i hear. wish i was there to watch it. thats my interesting story of the day:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you can find a ford 2.3 turbo eng reinforce the crank or supercharge it.... 1050hp can be produced.( yes a 2.3 eng)
I have an opel eng that produces 180hp to the wheels. Built by a nascar
shop. It has dual 45 webers, 11.5/1 comp. chevy big valves........cam is a
.430-286. If I put .430-300 in it it produces 200+ hp. Power band is too high then except for very high speeds. The rearend gears are 4.22.
A fery fun car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmm sounds like an interesting set of wheels you got there. how much did you drop on that?
im a student in my final year of high school and after putting 4000 down on the 71 gt i dont have much to play with, especially since ill be working in construction and have to buy a work truck quite shortly after i graduate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its a 1.9 head. I have a 69 H head but don't want to use it. The car is set up for SCCA GT-4 race. I am thinking of dropping the cam to .430-268 so the eng can go in one of my street cars. Not sure yet.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Chris_1970GT this is the very GT I want to put the rear seat in. I want the best of both worlds... Haul the family during the week and haul you-know-what at the track on the weekend. I have a 70 Dodge Challenger that has seen some track time. It a blast to go as fast as you can in a heads up competition against another car - and its legal.

I will have to go with a V6 - initial thoughts are a new Mopar magnum engine or a Mustang engine. I think the Mustangs has the smaller size advantage but who knows... I just got the car last weekend and have been bitten by the Opel bug. These cars are really cool! and the possibilities....wow

I won't be starting the project for another year so I have time to dream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts