Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to find out about the correct oil filling of the 2,0 E and the 2,2 i engine.
Has anybody the numbers? I suppose they must differ a bit from the 1,9 S engine (3,3 litre from factory; 3,0 litre when exchanging incl.filtre). Thanks MIKE :rolleyes:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
All the same in my books

"Oil Refill" Engine sump 3.8 litre (incl filter) for 1900; 2000 & 2200

Who ever changes the oil without changing the filter?
It has 0.5 litre of "dirty" oil in it........

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Got the information from: "Car Service Data" compiled by J N Seale ISBN 0 600 33336 1 This shows the same capacity for 1.9; 2.0 & 2.2 motors.
Checked in the Holden LH Torana 1900cc Engine Service Manual (this is a standard 19S Opel Motor which Holden used): Engine Oil fill Capacity (less filter) 6.0 pts or 3.5 litres. Oil Filter Capacity 0.6 pts or 0.3 litres
So both sources add up to 3.8litres.
I just top up the new filter with new oil before installing it and put the rest of the 4 litre oil pack in to the motor - I guess an extra 200cc + or - lets it leak a bit before coming down to the "Full" mark on the dip stick ......

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just to confirm previous posts by another source, my Haynes manual for the 1.6S and 1.9S engines, says about oil cpacity:

Dry engine: 4.1lt
Refill with filter: 3.8lt
Refil without filter: 3.5lt

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
when in doubt drain, change oil, filter and refill to mark on dip stick run engine for 30 seconds ,stop and let it rest for 5 min and top up to mark (sounds like a cooking lesson :D )
works on any engine if you have the book or not :D just have the right dip stick :cool:

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, I'm really puzzled by now. In the attached OPEL-file it's stated like that: 3,3 litre when FIRST filled (back in '69 in the factory..), 3,0 litre later on (incl. exchange of oil filtre.Without filtre it's 2,75 l). Now that differs quite a bit from the 3,8/3,5 information. Anybody can bring light into this darkness?

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
the .3 litre is easy its whats left sitting in nooks and crannys and oilways the base and sides where it sticks :D

the other is in to the realms of myth and legend as to which is right but i would take opel hand books over a haynes or any other manuel (none of which are famed for there accuracy)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Possible Explaination

The earlier motors have cast ali oil pans with less capacity than the later pressed sheet metal ones .............. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.