Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having nothing but trouble with my 1969 Opel kadett L wagon with the 1.9 automatic, I was wondering how much would something like it be worth? We have gone through the motor doing port work, doing 2 liter valves new gasket kit stuff like that it's in full primer atm it's a bit dusty ofc lol but other than that there's no rust surprisingly we have gone over it and the little there was has been dealt with ofc so just curious lol

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you do list it on Facebook, please do not start the listing with "I have been having nothing but trouble with" List the done and needs done, and I think you will have better results. We all have our reasons for stopping our projects, but that does not make them worth less. Clean it up and take the most representative photos and you will get results. Best of luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do list it on Facebook, please do not start the listing with "I have been having nothing but trouble with" List the done and needs done, and I think you will have better results. We all have our reasons for stopping our projects, but that does not make them worth less. Clean it up and take the most representative photos and you will get results. Best of luck.
Thank ya, I think I might have found a leak actually that was pretty big the headers I bought were a tad bit thicker than the intake so it wasn't tightening the intake portion, so I'll see tomorrow if it was an actual leak haha if it wasn't and I still have the issues I might end up listing, it's really been a pain like I know it's a good motor and what not and I really don't wanna sell it but it's been a pain haha

·
Detritus Maximus
3,695 Posts
And there is no better feeling than figuring them out and that first drive where it all comes together....well, except the first time you have really good chili and a vanilla shake....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thank ya, I think I might have found a leak actually that was pretty big the headers I bought were a tad bit thicker than the intake so it wasn't tightening the intake portion, so I'll see tomorrow if it was an actual leak haha if it wasn't and I still have the issues I might end up listing, it's really been a pain like I know it's a good motor and what not and I really don't wanna sell it but it's been a pain haha
You may want to describe in as much detail as possible the problems you are having. MOST likely someone on here has had a similar problem and can help you out. More details the more likely they can narrow it down. Fewer details, will result in throwing all sorts of wrenches at it. Best of luck, and maybe you won't end up listing it. Maybe driving it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well speaking of figuring it out pretty sure we figured it out haha, this has really been a headache we finally found the vacuum leak, turns out the headers were a bit thicker than the intake so when we tightened the bolt only the headers would fully tighten and the intake wasn't fully tightened so we added a little spacer on the intake side and tightened it and not they are both tightening and it actually idles now haha, so now onto adjusting valves, timing, the normal stuff

·
Über Genius
10,021 Posts
Well speaking of figuring it out pretty sure we figured it out haha, this has really been a headache we finally found the vacuum leak, turns out the headers were a bit thicker than the intake so when we tightened the bolt only the headers would fully tighten and the intake wasn't fully tightened so we added a little spacer on the intake side and tightened it and not they are both tightening and it actually idles now haha, so now onto adjusting valves, timing, the normal stuff
Interesting.
I wonder if that's why I'm having such a hard time dialing in my GT. The only difference(s) between my sons GT and mine are the header and the lighter flywheel. Well, and the transmission but the transmission won't affect idle or low end torque.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting.
I wonder if that's why I'm having such a hard time dialing in my GT. The only difference(s) between my sons GT and mine are the header and the lighter flywheel. Well, and the transmission but the transmission won't affect idle or low end torque.
Yeah might wanna check the intake man I had to put a spacer in between the bolt and the intake to make tighten both the intake and exhaust

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can take both parts to a machine shop and they can make both surfaces flush and flat. The cost should not be too high because the set up time is fairly short, and most surface grinders will automatically remove the set amount of material. It's not a little bench grinder, but a really large surface grinder. Adding shims could be troublesome as when things heat up and cool down those shims could warp or change just making the vac. leak re-appear. Once in a while, I take will take a head in and have it ground to make sure it is still flat.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do the header flange, just have all of the flanges done @ 12mm thick evenly across. Don’t let’m touch any intake flanges if you are going to go to the trouble. Wilderbry’s suggestion is the best way to go except: If you alter the intake flanges you will never get anything to work with it, I made this mistake having them resurfaced together, consequently I rendered my intake useless paired up with any other exhaust manifold or header etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts