Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys I am buying this 1969 opel gt. I think the original color is silver but I am not sure. It has a red interior and an automatic transmission. Does anyone know about how many of them were made? Even an estimate works. I am hopeing to get this gt in a week, I will post pics and videos of it once I get it.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
805 Posts
Best I can offer you is "damned few!". The attached from Hemmings might offer some insight. US sales totaled just under 12,000 GTs in 1969; two "unique" combinations were BRG with tan interior and silver with red interior. Relatively few of these cars came with automatic transmission, so I would suggest that silver with red inside and only two pedals is extremely rare. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. What do you think it is worth in the condition in the pics and in fully restored condition.

thanks Sam

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a 1970? I was looking at the hemming thing and it said the 1969 had carpet under the e brake, but it has plastic so is it a 1970? Then is it supposed to have a white exterior?

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
411 Posts
Is it a 1970? I was looking at the hemming thing and it said the 1969 had carpet under the e brake, but it has plastic so is it a 1970? Then is it supposed to have a white exterior?
Take a picture of the VIN tag on the passenger side windshield wiper arm, under the hood. That Aluminum tag will tell the colors of the car along with the VIN.
If she is a '69 a previous owner could have put in a non matching rear center console.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a picture of the VIN tag on the passenger side windshield wiper arm, under the hood. That Aluminum tag will tell the colors of the car along with the VIN.
If she is a '69 a previous owner could have put in a non matching rear center console.
Ok I will get a pic maybe this week.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,872 Posts
Things get changed and people add or remove or swap stuff out. It's not uncommon for early cars to get a console tray swapped in.

69 had the flat back panel, later cars had a stamped recess behind the license plate.

Other things to look for, button on the end of the turn signal stalk, shape of the turn signal indicator lights on the dash (round or rectangular?), how many screws hold the plastic instrument panel into the dash (but instrument panels get changed too, so not an absolute indicator).

Silver and red is a great combination. Mine was originally that color...loooong before I got it. Vermillion with the red, like mine is now, not so great.

Value is hard to judge from a few dark pics. Anywhere from 'just get it out of here' to ?? Plus the family discount? Restored value is tricky too. There are many different ideas on what counts as 'restored'. A driver quality restoration is not going to bring the same money as concourse quality. Don't be fooled by auction results, either. The auction circus can be driven by showmanship and hype as much as real interest. Dealer ads are notorious for inflation and exaggeration.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things get changed and people add or remove or swap stuff out. It's not uncommon for early cars to get a console tray swapped in.

69 had the flat back panel, later cars had a stamped recess behind the license plate.

Other things to look for, button on the end of the turn signal stalk, shape of the turn signal indicator lights on the dash (round or rectangular?), how many screws hold the plastic instrument panel into the dash (but instrument panels get changed too, so not an absolute indicator).

Silver and red is a great combination. Mine was originally that color...loooong before I got it. Vermillion with the red, like mine is now, not so great.

Value is hard to judge from a few dark pics. Anywhere from 'just get it out of here' to ?? Plus the family discount? Restored value is tricky too. There are many different ideas on what counts as 'restored'. A driver quality restoration is not going to bring the same money as concourse quality. Don't be fooled by auction results, either. The auction circus can be driven by showmanship and hype as much as real interest. Dealer ads are notorious for inflation and exaggeration.
I am buying it for $300. I will hopefully get it out of the barn next sunday. I will have to look for the other clues then.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well it sounds like a good buy...I paid that much for a ratty parts car... I once drove a GT with an automatic and was very disappointed........but being it is a common chev. automatic I am sure it could be tightened up...it was just boring...life is too short to drive a boring car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it sounds like a good buy...I paid that much for a ratty parts car... I once drove a GT with an automatic and was very disappointed........but being it is a common chev. automatic I am sure it could be tightened up...it was just boring...life is too short to drive a boring car.
That is why I didn't want to buy it at first. I am thinking of swapping a manual trans into it but keep the auto trans if I wanted to restore it properly some day.

Sam

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh come on Joel, automatics aren't THAT bad! One day you'll have to take me for a ride around the block in your 5-speed to prove me wrong ;)
BTW, as you're nearing completion of that gorgeous GT, please give me a call if you need any help! I think you have my number

Reactions: Young Gt Lover
1 - 12 of 12 Posts