Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,784 Posts
To decrease the CR, or more accurately dynamic cylinder pressures, you either create more room in the cylinder for air or you decrease how much air stays in the cylinder, or a combination of both.

-Thicker head gasket
-Different piston design
-More room in the cylinder head
-Increase piston ring gap (more blow by, not recommended)
-Less boost
-Retard the cam timing
-Different cam
-Higher viscosity oil (more blow by, not recommended)

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,784 Posts
Keith, just so it’s clear, dynamic CR never looks at the cylinder pressures compared to atmospheric pressure. That’s not how it’s calculated. Wallace Racing has a good DCR calculator and it will give a rough idea on dynamic cylinder pressures.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,784 Posts
MLS head gaskets use steel that has been stamped to create a spring for each seal. This head gasket was originally created by a Japanese company so it could expand a little bit when the cylinder head is pushed upward by combustion. This prevents high cylinder pressures from forcing the head gasket to fail. It is now one of the most common head gaskets used on production vehicles.

That's what my internet research had to say about MLS. Sounds like a head gasket I'd want to use. One result said the compression height was 75% roughly of the thickness, but I can't verify it yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts