Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to adjust the carburator?

My GT is finally ready to rummble.

The only problem is when I hit the gas to fast the carburator is injecting to mutch fuel. ( I think )
How do I adjust the carburator right?

Thanks for reacting and sorry for my bad English!

A happy GT driver!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
first, great paint job! she looks great. second, do you know what kind of carburator you have? if its stock its the solex carburator, or is it the aftermarket weber carburator?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comliment. I must say this is the 3th time I airbrushd the GT. The first 2 times it was a disaster!!! ( Compressor was broken, and I didn't know that!!! )

The carburator is a Solex. I have a workshop manual but I really don't understand all the technical English in it! So maybee U guys can help me.
If I put the gas to bottom, the car have a problem to asserelate. After about 1,5 seconds it goes like a roket!
I dont know if it gets to much air or fual, or to less.
Bigger is the problem to adjust the carburator. I really need your help.

If you want to see the GT from the beginning, u can watch at :
http://www.opelgt.da.ru

Thanks a lot for all your help!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
has the car been parked for along time and the fuel went bad? have you ever taken the carburator apart?

·
114 Posts
carburator

hello
you can order a restore kit ,because the inside pieces are
in rubber(accelerationpumpmembrane,and other)they are not closing as they where new(31 years is a long time !!)
be carefull,getting a solex in good shape is not simple
have fun driving gt!!
by the way nice website!!!

:p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I didn't took it apart because I don't understand all of it. I did took it off and cleaned it with fual. The rubbers I could see from te outside where in good shape, but I see the point the ones that I can't see could be in bad shape!
What is better and/or more easy with the weber carburator?
Is the adjustment more easy or is it better in an oterher way?
Thanks for the compliments for the site!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
the weber is the way to go! you get a horsepower increase, better acceleration, the take a tune much better, they are easy to work on, and easy to adjust.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Dr Diq said:
No I didn't took it apart because I don't understand all of it. I did took it off and cleaned it with fual. The rubbers I could see from te outside where in good shape, but I see the point the ones that I can't see could be in bad shape!
What is better and/or more easy with the weber carburator?
Is the adjustment more easy or is it better in an oterher way?
Thanks for the compliments for the site!
Even if they look brand new they are probly worn out.

The weber is just a simpler carburator, there is less to go wrong with it and I belive both barels are larger than the solex.
The solex is actually a better design as far as fuel economy but because of their complexity they don't stay in tune very long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for telling me all this.
Yesterday I made a few calls and the price of the Weber is about $400. ( € 470,- over here )
Is that a good price?
The firm I called says they can adjust the Solex for less, but should I do that? For how long is it good than?
Maybee it's better to buy the Weber.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
a solex isnt even woth the rebuild kit. buying a brandnew weber is the way to go but you can get them on ebay for as low as $50 used, thats how my dad got the weber for his MG but it did need a rebuild kit but that is $36, but $86 sounds better than $400 ($400 though is a good price for a new weber.)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I would think your problem is not too much gas when you hit the throttle, but not enough gas. Your accelerator pump is probably not working. The rubber inside is probably in bad shape. If you do go to a Weber, you will either have to modify the air cleaner to fit the Weber, or get an after market air cleaner assembly. Usually the folks get an air cleaner for a Volkswagen, but then you will have hot air going into the carburator from the engine compartment. There are pictures in the archives to show how to modify the original air cleaner for use on a Weber.

Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is already solved. The problem was that the carburator was getting fake air. The connetion part from the carburator to the air cleaner was to bad and had a gap on the bottom of it.
The original part I could not get here, but I solved is with a heater hose.

May I thank all you guys for all the good advice!

Maybe I still should buy the weber, I think I will!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this wasn't the only problem. The problem was not solved in 3th and 4th gear.

The diaphragm pump was not working at all.
With a friend I cleaned the carburetter and also cleaned the diaphragm pump. ( There was dirt in the opening and the hose )
Also the valve spring was weak. I made a new one out of a pen and this was it. Perfekt in all gears. ( But pitty to adjust )

Strange enough the carburetter was not a Solex ( That's what I first thougt ) but a Vallant. Couldn't find anything on the web about this thing.

So just for the fun of it i'm looking for technical data of this carburetter.
If anyone can help me again, I would be glad.

Kind regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts