Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you can use eastwood plastic repair #40026 -www.eastwoodcompany.com

Note:I think it is best to cut out the crack...like a trench ...with straight edges..this way you finish to a straight(butted) edge..not a feather edge that will flake

1)putty it in..I had a white color( I saw they also make black)

2)smooth with a razor blade

3)after set-smooth and polish with a rubber impregnated wheel

4) finished result is really undectable

I just did the front suface of my dash..the flat top is covered by
a dash mat from the prior owner....that surface is too big and flat for my experience..maybe this winter when I Pull the dash I wiil attempt ithe top surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
1023 DASH CAP

Form-fitted ABS plastic, black. Covers tops and front of dash pad. Excellent for hiding cracks.

Gil's got these at Opel Source- this is my alternative- looks and fits great.

·
1,175 Posts
But how do the ABS dash covers stand up in the sun? For $130.00
Is this a repair that will last? It does LOOK good in the pictures that I've seen.

How good do the stitched vinyl covers that are glued to and which cover the entire dash look? These are mentioned at Opel GT Source.

BDD

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Vinyl stitched Dash cover

Here is a picture of the vinyl stitched dash cover in my GT. It was installed in 96 or 97. The center console was done at the same time to match.

The big normal crack on the top of the dash was ground and filled with bondo for prep. Then the cover was glued and stretched on.

The pictures were bigger than 600x600, so here are some links.

http://keypro.icsapp.com/dash1.jpg
http://keypro.icsapp.com/dash2.jpg
http://keypro.icsapp.com/dash3.jpg

Let me know if you have any problems with these links.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
bucky, what did you use to "polish" with the rubber wheel, one of the fancy dremel tools with multiple settings? and how many linear feet of dash cracks do you think that kit will cover?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
go ahead and give me a grade

finish is pebbly...I rolled on truck bed liner,I did not do top as I had no access,I sprayed it flat camo black..hid my mistakes...

I could not duplicate leather grain pattern... a shiney finish brought out my additions.

For the same $130 for a dash cap ..I can now buy an anti sway bar for the back

Grade A

Grade B

Grade C

Grade D

last place "one legged A"..also known as an "F"

I already had the supplies..except for the brush on bed liner..I spent less than $20 on the repair..approx 10hrs of time..I could redo it now in a hour or so..I enjoyed it

PS: Jarod..I have enough extra supplies for 2-3 feet of repairs and an adjustable dremel..if you want I will lend you all the supplies (except bedliner)..have your dad contact me.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
more dash photos

PS: I misread last post..Jordan have your contact me if you need
supplies

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FINAL TOUCH

....so instead of hurting my feelings on how bad my dash looked ....relative to the time spending hours on end trying to repair , smooth.paint ,fill ,sand ,trunk bed liner ,repair some more.it still looked rough and patched on.. she was still a "c" or so at best...you all are so polite to newbies..anyway...

another memeber of opel gt .com sends me a dash cap..yup..

got cracked dash?..save the money you will spend on repair supplies and get an OGTS dash cap..it is smooth,not too shiney and not too dull..so you don't get glare.

I had a prior dash mat over my top cracks...this OGTS cap is nice and easy for a newbie to install..

it looks great! and you have to look at it all the time...

hey truman(AKA my big brother..thanks again)

this photo is for you.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
easy dash

the dash cap is easy to install....3 min tops to install..so easy in fact i called Gil to see if I needed to glue or bolt it in..(that is optional)..mine fit so good and looks great. gil says you can back out the dash bolts and use these same bolts..I have not done that yet...I highly recommend this product.

like the fuel pump I put in.... you call ogts in the am..it is shipped out that night.

unlike the stitched..it is seamless and looks modern.

PS: I got my old dash cover on ebay..I think the price is $1.34 right now....can you believe my old driver side mirror went for $42 on ebay

Attachments

·
1,175 Posts
Somebody said that the ABS caps had a seam down the middle. Is that true? Could you post photo's of that and more from the drivers side? Does it come in one piece or two? And it's supposed to stand up in the sun and not warp?

The photo's that you've posted sure look good.

BDD

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dash cap ..more photos

the ends may need to be trimmed a bit..seem a little long or I haven't tucked it in right.

there is no seam like the stitched cover

there is a place where it ends below the vents..

sorry my photos aren't better ..I using a fluorescent shop to
light my photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
OK- I have had it.. I got OGTS dash cap a year ago last Christmas. Install is a dream. Looks great. As long as the sun doesn't hit it.. The first hot day in May last year the cap warped unter the Texas sun. Tried to smooth it by removing the cap and using the wife's hair dryer- no good -and then her iron on the max setting- nada. Put it back on cause it still looked better than the old dash. Well today it got to 84 degrees here in Houston and the dash just warpped worse so that I now have a 3 inch bubble in the middle of my dash. Can't afford a Just Dash repair and can't drive with that dam bubble staring me in the face. Guess I will just pull the thing and put the carpet dash mat back on.
I have never been dissapointed in any of my purchases fron OGTS but I just can't recommend it for any warm weather climates.:no:

·
427 Posts
Good to know information. We definitely get out fair share of fair weather! Was that glued down, or is that even an option? I'm not really familiar with the product, but I am assuming it is a thin ABS plastic over-lay for the dash, much like a truck bed-liner?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.