Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Good to hear from you Craig. Was just thinking I should reach out to you and Roy to see about getting together. Give me a call whenever you get back. I can always drive the GT down there if you guys want to have an Opel outing.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Very glad you revived this thread. I was looking to do this 7-8 years ago and designed an adapter plate for the Ford T-5's that looks very similar to what is shown on page 1. Never got that far but it is great to see this done. Another advantage to mention for the Ford T5 is that you can get close gear ratio sets for them. No more useless stump puller 1st gear ratios like from the S10 version.....

Let us know how that Anchor mount works long term..... sadly, there are a lot of cow-dung mounts coming out of India and China these days....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Website says out of stock. You have to contact them to buy. But here is a hassle free shifter. $180....

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Very interesting thread!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Website says out of stock. You have to contact them to buy. But here is a hassle free shifter. $180....

Has anyone used this and with what result?
B4 I start the job I want to make sure I have all the proven parts and that I can complete the job and not be stuck with an incomplete job wishing I hadn't started. The Gt I want to do this on is my Black 73 on Long Island so I'm no where near Cam on this job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Has anyone used this and with what result?
B4 I start the job I want to make sure I have all the proven parts and that I can complete the job and not be stuck with an incomplete job wishing I hadn't started. The Gt I want to do this on is my Black 73 on Long Island so I'm no where near Cam on this job.
Craig, are you asking about the shifter?
If so, it is very nice and works great!

My car is on the road with the S197 T5. Works great! Followed the instructions in this thread and everything was easy.

I think I heard that the adapter plate no longer has a 3 piece minimum. You can buy 1 now.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes I was asking about the "shifter base'
I bought one of the original adapters when Cam started this thread.
Did you buy the tranny from a junkyard or what... I forget where Cam says he bought his .
Did you do the job with the car on a lift or just jacked up?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I picked up a tranny from an 08 Mustang on eBay for $400.

I did it with the car on jack stands.

The shifter is really nice. To order one you'll need to email them. They have you take a couple of measurements to ensure you get exactly what you need.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I think the shifter I used was about $30 on E-Bay. It works fine, though if I ever tried a $180 one I might think otherwise.

Ist thru 4th gears are very similar to the stock GT ratio, as I recall. The ratios are shown in the first post. The only thing I don't like about the S197 T5 after living with it for a couple years is the super tall 5th gear (.72 ratio). It's great for cruising 75-80 mph on the freeway (our speed limit here is 75) but most of my driving is at more like 65-70. If I had it to do again I'd have that changed out to something like .80.

I got my T5 off of E-Bay too. $500 or so as I recall. It said rebuilt but it sure looked like a brand new one. The seller was a major transmission rebuilder out of Texas, and a local T5 guy here told me that they had a good reputation. I forget the name of the company right now though.

BTW, my shifter seemed a little too far to the right at first... 3rd gear seemed to be where 5th should be. Turns out I had my motor mount brackets reversed. It's a subtle change but feels more normal now. That moved the engine about an inch to the left, so put the shifter a little closer to the center of the hole now.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think the shifter I used was about $30 on E-Bay. It works fine, though if I ever tried a $180 one I might think otherwise.

Ist thru 4th gears are very similar to the stock GT ratio, as I recall. The ratios are shown in the first post. The only thing I don't like about the S197 T5 after living with it for a couple years is the super tall 5th gear (.72 ratio). It's great for cruising 75-80 mph on the freeway (our speed limit here is 75) but most of my driving is at more like 65-70. If I had it to do again I'd have that changed out to something like .80.

I got my T5 off of E-Bay too. $500 or so as I recall. It said rebuilt but it sure looked like a brand new one. The seller was a major transmission rebuilder out of Texas, and a local T5 guy here told me that they had a good reputation. I forget the name of the company right now though.

BTW, my shifter seemed a little too far to the right at first... 3rd gear seemed to be where 5th should be. Turns out I had my motor mount brackets reversed. It's a subtle change but feels more normal now. That moved the engine about an inch to the left, so put the shifter a little closer to the center of the hole now.
Thanks guys... Cam if you find the name of the tranny supplier please send it along.. Also what is the rpm @ 60mph, & 70 mph?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The little bit that I've drove my car, I concur.... 5th gear is pretty tall. I have some 3:90 gears. I think it will be a lot better once they are installed.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
You can get .80 OD gears to retrofit into the Ford T5's, at least the WC ones. You'll have to research exactly which version of Ford T5's this will go into, or call. Some info is in the link below.

But note this little factoid in that same link...."However racing gears do have some noise. " Not shocked that the coarser (stronger) gear teeth could have some noise in them.

Call these guys for availability:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My transmission came from this E-Bay seller:

E-Bay Listing

Note that the transmission shown in the ad is NOT the one you need. That is the Tremec 3650 V8 version. Only V6 S197 Mustangs used the T5, They don't seem to have any T5's listed right now but perhaps if you contact them they can locate one for you.

My clutch disc came from California Clutch. [email protected],com. Not sure about the thickness. I just specified pressure plate friction surface of 8.25" OD and 5.0" ID. and center hole of 3.75". And of course the splines to match the T5. I don't even remember what they are now.

Most of this info is in the first post in this thread where I listed sources and numbers for the parts I used.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I ordered my disc from Cali Clutch, I told him the style, O.D., the spline count and size and material. Don't recall him mentioning thickness.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Yep.... I cannot find any magical listing of thickness specs. I have measured 5 stock types here, all from different applications, and 4 of the 5 are right around 5/16" (or would have been unworn). I can find a spec or 2 of the lining thicknesses in some FSM's here for Mopar stuff, of .125" + or - a bit.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My transmission came from this E-Bay seller:

E-Bay Listing

Note that the transmission shown in the ad is NOT the one you need. That is the Tremec 3650 V8 version. Only V6 S197 Mustangs used the T5, They don't seem to have any T5's listed right now but perhaps if you contact them they can locate one for you.

My clutch disc came from California Clutch. [email protected],com. Not sure about the thickness. I just specified pressure plate friction surface of 8.25" OD and 5.0" ID. and center hole of 3.75". And of course the splines to match the T5. I don't even remember what they are now.

Most of this info is in the first post in this thread where I listed sources and numbers for the parts I used.
Cam, I just sent them an email thru ebay... I'll let you know what they say.....
By the way I am using an S-10 clutch and an Aluminum flywheel now in my GT Is any of that useable in the new setup?
I haven't reread all of the posts you wrote but I will try to print them out and reread everything b4 I start.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Cam, I just sent them an email thru ebay... I'll let you know what they say.....
By the way I am using an S-10 clutch and an Aluminum flywheel now in my GT Is any of that useable in the new setup?
I haven't reread all of the posts you wrote but I will try to print them out and reread everything b4 I start.
I really have no experience with the S-10 clutch, Craig, but I would guess that Cal Clutch should be able to make you an S10 clutch disc with Ford splines. What clutch fork are you using?

·
Über Genius
9,373 Posts
The aluminum flywheel and S10 clutch are perfectly fine with a GM T5 conversion.
All you need is a Ford clutch disk with the right diameter. Should be easy to get one.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
That is really why I'm looking into the disc thickness. If the thicknesses are the same or close enough, then there are plenty of 10 spline, 9" Ford clutch discs out there that would work with the later V6 Ford T5's (like Zippy used), the S10 pressure plate and AL flyhweel.

You have to change the pilot bushing if you use some of the earlier ones prior to 2005 (V6 or V8) and the adapter plate thickness changes with the particular T5 flavor.

And it may be possible to change the input shaft in most of the Ford T5's with the 14 spline GM one, which you can buy for <$60. But it may involve some syncrho changes in some. I think someone is looking into that.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts