Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,373 Posts
That is really why I'm looking into the disc thickness. If the thicknesses are the same or close enough, then there are plenty of 10 spline, 9" Ford clutch discs out there that would work with the later V6 Ford T5's (like Zippy used), the S10 pressure plate and AL flyhweel.

You have to change the pilot bushing if you use some of the earlier ones prior to 2005 (V6 or V8) and the adapter plate thickness changes with the particular T5 flavor.

And it may be possible to change the input shaft in most of the Ford T5's with the 14 spline GM one, which you can buy for <$60. But it may involve some syncrho changes in some. I think someone is looking into that.
Clutch disk and pilot bushing do not correlate.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My transmission came from this E-Bay seller:

E-Bay Listing

Note that the transmission shown in the ad is NOT the one you need. That is the Tremec 3650 V8 version. Only V6 S197 Mustangs used the T5, They don't seem to have any T5's listed right now but perhaps if you contact them they can locate one for you.

My clutch disc came from California Clutch. [email protected],com. Not sure about the thickness. I just specified pressure plate friction surface of 8.25" OD and 5.0" ID. and center hole of 3.75". And of course the splines to match the T5. I don't even remember what they are now.

Most of this info is in the first post in this thread where I listed sources and numbers for the parts I used.
I got an email back from the company that you bought your T5 from... they are out of stock on that tranny... I'll write back to them and have them notify me when they do get more as well as try locally here on Long Island.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Cam please call me ... I lost your # and many others when my phone broke.
Thx, Craig

·
Registered
154 Posts
Question for those who've done this swap. When you called HRW, what specifically did you ask for? An adapter with a s197 t5 on one side and an Opel bell on the other? Any other specifics that need mentioning?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Followup Question:

@zippy7575, when you had HRW make the adapter, did you (or have them) add the 4º rotation to account for the rotated engine? (I ask because I have a Manta that doesn't require this 4º correction)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I ordered mine in the group buy but don't know the details. I still haven't used it as I haven't found the T-5 tranny yet.

·
Opel Key Master
5,268 Posts
T5s have an external reverse switch that you can get connectors for. They are two wire just like the original, so you just wire them straight in to your purple and white/black wires

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone used this and with what result?
B4 I start the job I want to make sure I have all the proven parts and that I can complete the job and not be stuck with an incomplete job wishing I hadn't started. The Gt I want to do this on is my Black 73 on Long Island so I'm no where near Cam on this job.

I just sent you a PM about this. What specific base did you buy?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts