Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed the set screw under the knob and i am able to turn the knob but it just turns and will not unscrew.
I tried just pulling it straight off after removing the set screw but that was not happening.
I want to replace the top tranny boot but do not know how.
What am i doing wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Gordon Coggins
ns

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
It is pressed on. Put it in a pot of boiling water, add a little salt and pepper for taste and then try to remove it. If you aren’t keeping it just cut it off.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
Hey Gordon, The original black knobs on top of the shifter were much smaller than what you are showing in your picture and those, as I understand it were heated and pushed on for a permanent installation. I am not sure how to get one of the original off and have no idea how to get your after marker knob removed. Generally, with the original knob a little lubrication and the boot will just slip over it but I don't think that will work with your situation. It may be the same kind of thing as the original but not sure how you are going to get it into a pot of boiling water. Good Luck. Someone else will know the answer.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
If you remove the shift lever from the transmission, the boot can be removed from the bottom.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
If you remove the shift lever from the transmission, the boot can be removed from the bottom.
Yep there is a single steel pin at the bottome area if the shift lever, holding the lever in place on the shift linkage yoke with a c-clip and flat spring washer. Take that c-clip and spring washer off, and pull out the pin, and voila....

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
I still like the boiling water idea...

·
Registered
789 Posts
But seriously - How do you remove the knob and how do you or can you replace it with an original knob, if available. Or how can you replace the whole part as pictured below or can that be done. Back in the junkyard visiting years I picked up the item pictured below. Don't have any idea how I got it off the donor car or if it was just on the seat next to the transmission but in any regard I would like to switch it out if I can, the whole thing if possible as it is in better shape than mine as I don't want any kind of after market replacement. There is nothing inside of the chrome tube except a little rust. So I have no idea but look forward to hearing from those with experience. As always thanking you in advance for your comments and advice. Carl

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Seriously. Boil the knob to remove it and boil the new knob to install it. I think it even says to do that in the service manual.

Reactions: hrcollinsjr

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
When installing it would also help to freeze the shaft. The bigger the temperature differential between shaft and knob the easier it is to make the compression fit work.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yep there is a single steel pin at the bottome area if the shift lever, holding the lever in place on the shift linkage yoke with a c-clip and flat spring washer. Take that c-clip and spring washer off, and pull out the pin, and voila....
So Mark, Looking at the picture I attached - and following your instructions above - can this new shaft with knob be installed in place of an existing unit. There is nothing inside of this tube/shifter except what looks like a rubber bushing that starts when the shaft begins to taper just under the reverse pull up ring...
thanks, Carl

/

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
See the manual trans section of your service manual under “replacing rubber dampening parts in gearshift lever”
But in short. After detaching the cable. Remove the lower snap ring under the chrome part and pull.

Reactions: kwilford

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks for the information, Looking forward to having a newish gear shift. Its been sitting in a box for 30 years and I had forgotten about it. Great.........

·
Registered
789 Posts
See the manual trans section of your service manual under “replacing rubber dampening parts in gearshift lever”
But in short. After detaching the cable. Remove the lower snap ring under the chrome part and pull.

Thanks again Knorm for the information and the picture helps a lot. I did look at the information in the manual but you nailed in in a short paragraph while the manual tells me a lot more than I need to know and no where as clearly as you. After determining that I could do nothing from inside the passenger compartment I got under the car and took a look and that appears to be a very, very sturdy snap ring, not reachable while in place. Looking again at your picture is there anything unusual that I should know about removing the part of the lower shifter assembly, shown in your picture, so that I can take that part off the car to the work bench and remove that snap ring with a pair of needle nose pliers. I then understand that the allen screw at the top of the shifter will release the last hold on the shifter shaft.

·
Registered
789 Posts
OK, so I figured it out. The hardest part was replacing the retaining ring. New shifter is in place and working well and looks much better than the older one.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Newer one on the left and a good picture of the old one below - the old one is taped and has a flat spot on it where I must have hit it with a power tool but after 25 years I have no idea how or why I did that. But it is good to have the original shape with out defects back in my hand. Also it was good to have an opportunity to have a chance to remove that very stiff, gritty 50 year old grease and replace with new.....again feels good.

Old shifter below......................new above - thanks again Knorm it was your picture that made the difference and led me to the solution on how to remove the upper unit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts