Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first posting to this forum. Perhaps there is something basic here I'm missing... after the headlights stopped lighting on my 70 GT, I read a lot of good articles here and did some testing and was able to determine I had a failed headlight relay switch. Ordered one from OGTS which is an aftermarket, shown in the attached pic. Frustrating to me is that I don't know how to be certain which are the equivalent matching contacts on the new one since physical layout looks a bit different. The relay has no labeling for the contacts and I can't find anything in the OGTS literature or online that shows this. Maybe this is basic, but I'd really like to be sure before attaching the new one and finding I made an error that causes additional problems. Can call OGTS on Monday but hoping to finish this job over the weekend still. Pic attached shows diagram of old relay and what new one looks like. Thanks for helping!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Hi, my first posting to this forum. Perhaps there is something basic here I'm missing... after the headlights stopped lighting on my 70 GT, I read a lot of good articles here and did some testing and was able to determine I had a failed headlight relay switch. Ordered one from OGTS which is an aftermarket, shown in the attached pic. Frustrating to me is that I don't know how to be certain which are the equivalent matching contacts on the new one since physical layout looks a bit different. The relay has no labeling for the contacts and I can't find anything in the OGTS literature or online that shows this. Maybe this is basic, but I'd really like to be sure before attaching the new one and finding I made an error that causes additional problems. Can call OGTS on Monday but hoping to finish this job over the weekend still. Pic attached shows diagram of old relay and what new one looks like. Thanks for helping!
Andy, I labeled mine when I got it, I am rewiring and it a good thing it's marked. There is one terminal that rubbed off, so if the other wires are connected to the right terminals, you should have one wire left over, and it goes on the terminal that has no description. Disregard the "7" 's ....they should have been slashes.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Bob!

Thanks, Bob! That is just what I was looking for. Will label mine too before it is installed so will know if ever should need to reconnect it.

Much appreciated,
Andy

·
Opeler
3,031 Posts
Andy, I labeled mine when I got it, I am rewiring and it a good thing it's marked. There is one terminal that rubbed off, so if the other wires are connected to the right terminals, you should have one wire left over, and it goes on the terminal that has no description. Disregard the "7" 's ....they should have been slashes.

Bob
One wire left over is ground (GND), Term 86?
Haven't checked my GT, but GND wire s/b Brown.
GND headlight relay at fuse box mounting stud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let there be lights!

Yes, the last wire is the brown ground wire. It worked! I have lights again! Thank again for the help guys!

Andy

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts