Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I follow a automotive journalist by the name of Elana Scherr on YouTube and she just posted a fantastic video on rebuilding the GT suspension without removing the crossmember. She also used rubber bushings which adds a lot more steps I’ve never seen anyone show well.

It’s a good video. They are figuring out on the fly so at roughly 20min you can see what happens when you remove the leaf spring without any safety precautions (which is how I do it but pointed away from me with the crossmember removed). It’s not that scary, but the video shows what happens so you guys can take the safety precautions that make you feel comfortable. Adding another jack right below the two lower bolts removed at the 20min mark pretty much solves everything.

Otherwise the video is pretty great. Use power tools if you have them!

·
Über Genius
9,258 Posts
This was a great video on how to NOT disassemble your front suspension.
There's some good stuff there but the front spring will hold tension whenever it's not in a half-circle. It's incredible how much it's actually stressed when in the car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That was an excellent video, that video answered so many of my questions and while I know it will not be an easy job, far from it, it will definitely be easier that just looking at the information that is available on the forum and trying to translate that into a working plan. If I can see it I can do it, usually. Was also pleased to learn about a new tool and a way to modify another tool to work on the GT front suspension. I recently purchased the rubber bushings and have that on my list to complete this winter. I attempted it this past fall and was going to use the red bushings but got cold feet and just replaced the spring eye bolts and the upper and lower ball joints so I have a little practical experience/practice that I can apply going forward. Since then I have returned the red bushings for the black rubber bushings as I am looking for a more gentle ride. This is just Awesome.
Thanks for sharing this Knorm65. Great addition to the GT video library. One of the reasons I gave up the first time was just getting to that one bolt/nut on the second area holding the spring that let loose in the video, now I know how to get to it. Actually looking forward to the project now. Thanks again, Carl

·
UngerDog
1,304 Posts
I was like Elana, Nooo, Stop! 40 seconds of pure dramatic anticipation or foreboding from 20:40 on. Tom says "I don't think there's any spring energy left there", then right on cue, bang! I don't know how she didn't get at least get a busted hand out of that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just another method I used with great sucess and guaranteed spring control. M12 8.8 threaded rod. Can also be used with axle in place but shocks removed. Axle rebuilt with all rubber bushes which put up a bit of a fight until they realised I wasn't for surrendering.
20201228_114212.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just another method I used with great sucess and guaranteed spring control. M12 8.8 threaded rod. Can also be used with axle in place but shocks removed. Axle rebuilt with all rubber bushes which put up a bit of a fight until they realised I wasn't for surrendering. View attachment 432309
Could also go M14 (9/16" unf) if you prefer to. Had them fitted and wound down evenly each side and spring compressed with no effort and safely.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm subscribed to her channel as well. Elana, Tom and the Weiner Dogs always make for a friendly video.

"And I'm not sure actually how much tension is on it...." Tom

That's when it was like, hold your breath time.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,256 Posts
If you look at a leaf spring on OGTS and then think of how flat it is in the GT... that gives you an idea of just how much stress the spring is under. The best way to handle the leaf spring in my opinion is to fab up the following tool.

GM J-21689 Leaf Spring Compressor.jpg IMGP3221.JPG IMGP3227.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts