Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a Question? I want my GT lower, and I don't want to make it appear lower using side skirts and or air dams I like the stock bodied appearance except maybe fender flares when I find the perfect set of big fat wheels, (that fit). Two things I found OGTS offers lowering springs, and also I saw JCwhitney has a coil spring adjusting kit. Which seems kind-of Questionable?? Is it or do they work? What problems would I be potentialy faceing with the spring adjusting kit? Any one have any wisdom?
-Civin

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
First, avoid the temptation to lower the car excessively. You will hurt more than you will help. You don't need to lower a GT a lot to make it *look* like it's lowered a lot. Look at the picture of Wayne Torman's purple GT I posted under the "Weber Jetting Party" posting. That car is lowered about 1.75" in front and 1.25" rear, with 205/50-15" tires on 15 x 7" rims. But it looks VERY low.
My Dad's GT is lowered 2.75" in front and 2.5" in back. I had to do a LOT of re-engineering to maintain suspension travel (to keep from bottoming) and a LITTLE bit of ride quality, correct bump-steer curves, adjustable shocks, etc. And it's so low you can't fit a jack under the car anywhere, I have a special fixture which slips into the rocker panel jacking holes and allows a regular jack to fit under it. I'd recommend no more than 1.5-1.75" of lowering, and even then you will need a custom alignment and you'll need to cut the bump stops in half or you'll literally have ZERO suspension travel. There are numerous methods, such as lowering blocks for the front stock transverse leaf spring, a custom lowering front leaf, front shackles, or special ball-joints (which act as dropped spindles). For the rear, you can either cut stock springs, or opt for aftermarket lowering springs. Aftermarket shocks are required too, especially if you decide to lower the car a lot, they'll need to be shorter travel to avoid bottoming the pistons out, and firming damping control. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the look of that car. But what rims were used? Not really the style, but the dimensions. They look pretty flush mounted, were there spacers used?

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Only Wayne could answer the specifics, I never measured the backspacing. However, when Wayne installed the front lowering shackles, he found the rims rubbed the shackles in tight turns (they still do if you cut the wheel hard enough). The wheels obviously have a high negative offset. For the front, I got Wayne some 1/2' wheels spacers for each side. This provided better clearance, and also widened the front track.

Bob

·
Opeler
16 Posts
Well, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the style of my wheels, but that's ok, there aren't ANY left in the country in that style, lug pattern and offset anyway.

Those wheels are 15" x 7" Neeper N-7s, with the 4x100 bolt pattern, and (so they told me) a +20 offset. I tend to agree with Bob's comment, though, that they ARE a negative offset. Or else I just screwed up and should have asked for a different offset in the first place. I know that at the time that I bought them, I THOUGHT that "+20" was the magic formula for the correct offset for the GT. Since then, I have learned that that is not necessarily the case, and really only applies to 5" wide wheels, which were stock on the GT. In short, I am NOT sure that I asked for the right offset to begin with, and in retrospect I'm not sure that what they gave me was what I asked for! To learn more about the correct offset, and basically more than you ever wanted to know about wheels and tires, you should go to www.opelclub.com and read this excellent article:
http://www.opelclub.com/public/blitz/articles/wheels.pdf

Good luck!
Wayne

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
if you could find a VW shop they might be able to help you out

they have a great variety of rims (or they used to)

HTH

Davegt74

1 - 7 of 7 Posts