Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hub problem!

I received the things in the mail that I ordered today and then go to work. Finally, I could remove those damn hub bolts with the new tool.

BUT

Now the first bolt is stripped and I am giving up. After soaking them in penetration fluid for three days this still happens.

Now I need two front hubs for a 1974 Manta AND the stupid bolts.

If you have some laying around that you can ship THURSDAY, I will gladly paypal you the money as soon as I get an EMail.

[email protected]

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
Any chance you could drill out the screws? If you start with a small bit, go progressively larger, and don't drill to deep, you can drill off the head of the screw so there is nothing holding the hub and disc together. Then you could tackle the remaining threaded section of the screw still in the drum.

·
315 Posts
Before you go the hub route, let me be sure I know what you are trying to do. If I am guessing correct, you are trying to change the brake disc. If that is true, take the hubs and the "star" tool that you bought to your local machine shop, or favorite mechanic. Ask them to remove the bolts with an impact wrench. 99.9% of the time they come out with an impact wrench.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The impact wrech is a possibility. I might have them do that tomorrow. But I think I might be better off if I can get new bolts for it.

·
315 Posts
Yea, if the heads... the star part... are bad, then you will want new bolts. Call the Opel GT Source. I'm pretty sure they will have them

·
2,054 Posts
Those pesky star head bolts

My son & I had the correct tool, but did not have enough where-with-all to think of the machine shop and an impact wrench like TGSI suggested.

We drilled the head off the rusted bolts and they just popped out the back. Then went to ACE Hardware and bought some good quality tensile bolts that fit real nice.

Time: about 3 evenings
Cost: coupla dollars

But in retrospect, I'd take advice from TGSI Racing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those stripped heads can be a real #$%[email protected]
Here is a trick that worked for me, although you need a welder.
Drive a regular hex key into the stripped head and spot weld
the hex key to the stripped bolt. You lose the hex key, but you
can even cut it off and repeat the procedure.
:)
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
how bad?

You could also the the hub to the machine shop and see if the machinist will cut the rotor off the hub flush with where the bolts go through. He should be able to do it with the regular brake rotor machine. Obviously the rotor will be junk, but then you can grab the bolts with vice grips or whatever and unbolt them without fighting the fact that they are in a hole.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By some miracle, they all came free today like magic. The car must have known I was getting pissed at it. But anyway, the bolts are off and already on the new rotor. And the bolt was not as bad as I thought it was after I cleaned it up.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the hubs BTW?

I uploaded a series of shots in My Gallery here, but they are not showing yet. Look for the differences there when they show.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have a set of 75 brake lines that attach to the caliper itself with the flanges?

I need one, and I have the feeling that i iwll need two.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ugg..

I will never do this job again myself. I would rather pay someone else to do it. The Manta is still in the air as you probably read and I still do not have everything I need. And then there is no 100% clear definition of wha tis needed.

Once this is done, I won't even so much as bleed the damn things myself. uggg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts