Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my luck is going to run out. Hurricane Rita has a good strike probability on Houston- Galveston. Elevation on my house is 12 feet above sea level. Storm surge for a catagory 3 storm is 15 feet. Think I will be about 3 feet shy of staying dry. The wife and boy child and the killer attack cat and I are outta here on Thursday if the track continues toward us. The problem is the GT has to stay home. The garage is rated for a catagory three storm but high water is the problem. Any thing I can do to protect it? Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW- I am one of the higher locations within a 8 mile radius. :cool:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Water proof

Get a large sheet of thick plastic; put the GT on top of it and then fold up the edges and seal the GT inside it. Try to make the "plastic bag" as waterproof as possible - gotta keep the water away from the car.

·
415 Posts
The bag idea is good but when the car floats it will pop. My sugestion is to find a friend that needs to evac and let them drive one of your other cars while you drive the GT. You can bring it here if you need to. Last but not least find a shop with a lift.

Good luck I can only pray that if it hits it's not a big one.

·
427 Posts
or do like I have done for the last 3 to come thru here, take it to a safer garage. Maybe a friend or a business? Though Jims heart/mind was in the right place, I don't think he realizes just the destructive power ow a storm surge. It isnt like filling up a bath tub, but more like flushing a toilet. Wrapping your GT in plastic wont protect it alot when the door caves in and the roof comes down. I would offer to let you bring it here, but it seems like we somehow end up getting a little bit of even the ones that pass by. But keep me in mind if it does end up that way and you and your family need a safe haven. News this morning was saying it might even go towards New Orleans. Has been one bad storm season this year... making Az look better all the time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
saving opel

Texas Tom...How about this..take it to a multi-story parking garage..there's probably lots in Huston area..put the little girl near the top..just and idea..

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
opelgtdvr's and Megatrons' are both good ideas, but hope it misses everyone. NOLA was bad enough. Be careful, the car can be rebuilt, but the wife and kids and your life can't. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Jarrell

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
not kept up

Tom, haven't been able to keep up with the news at all :eek: , if you need to get your GT out give me a shout I will come down with a trailer and pick it up for you, just let me know I can leave on a phone call and be there in six hours or less, 903.819.4885.
rk

·
Opeler
38 Posts
You can also store it here, in Waco. I have plenty of room in my backyard with a carport to put it under. Just a thought. Hopefully this storm misses and you don't have to leave.

·
Opeler
62 Posts
I live in Pensacola, and my fiance is in Galveston... I keep my GT in Connecticut and figure I'll use it again someday when Hurricane's aren't following me around anymore (The last three places I've lived- P'cola, Washington D.C., and Galveston- have all been hit while I've lived there).
Good luck to those of you in Texas- Hopefully this thing will turn away from you!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found an insurance company's parking garage that is 3 levels high. It says employee parking only but there isn't going to be any employees there for the rest of the week since we now have manditory evacuation starting tomorrow.
GT is going over there tomorrow (Wed.) in the am and I am out of here by noon. I will gladly pay a parking ticket as long as baby is safe. Thanks for the offers Texas folks but it is unlikely that you would be able to get into this area after tommorow morning. :cool:

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
baronbors said:
I found an insurance company's parking garage that is 3 levels high. It says employee parking only but there isn't going to be any employees there for the rest of the week since we now have manditory evacuation starting tomorrow.
GT is going over there tomorrow (Wed.) in the am and I am out of here by noon. I will gladly pay a parking ticket as long as baby is safe. Thanks for the offers Texas folks but it is unlikely that you would be able to get into this area after tommorow morning. :cool:
Park it next to the center stair well or elevator shaft on the second floor on the northwest side to gain as much protection as possible from flying debris, Latest report possible catigory 5. Tom you can come on up 45 to north of Dallas camp out here if you want, while your here pick out your engine and work on a few Opels to pass the time if you want to, just let us know. :)
Rodney & Tyressa

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Just picked it up on the news, Rita is now a Cat V hurricane with a projected landfall south of Galveston. 175 MPH winds could be in the works. It doesn't sound too good for our brethern down there. Some spiritual assistance would be appreciated I'm sure.

·
Opeler
97 Posts
if your 3 feet shy... and only worried about water.. Put it in your attic.... ... um that wont work... can you jack it up and put it on some serious jack stands... even 2 feet... it can be in a foot of water and be ok.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
With a Cat 5 storm comming I think the Opel is the less of the worries. I talked with a buddy of mine that came back from the coast of Mississippi. He was in awe of the devistation. Compleate communities are gone only thing left is the foundation.

Texas Tom prayer to you and yours. I hope you are out of there by now!!

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
410 Posts
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Just in case any one wants the National Hurrican Center web page.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Texas Tom- I hope you are out, that your friends and family are safe.

·
Viking
862 Posts
okieopel said:
Texas Tom- I hope you are out, that your friends and family are safe.
Me too!!

Hallgeir

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are saying tomorrow at noon she is to hit land. This doesn't look good at all. I really hope everyone is out of there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts