1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Goes to show you that Honda and Toyota were not the first to come up with the hybrid idea first. It was an Opelit that wanted more MPG for his car!!

·
Über Genius
9,368 Posts
If there was a kit to do this, I bet they could sell big time. I would do it to my next GT

·
Registered
14 Posts
First opel 1981 said:
If there was a kit to do this, I bet they could sell big time. I would do it to my next GT
Check these guys out then: Electro Automotive. They've been around since the 70s too, and have two different kits. They use an adapter from the electric motor to the manual tranny ... they recommend manual transmission, which allows you to keep your clutch for better shifting. I don't see any Opels in their list of adapter, but you can send your bellhousing to them and they'll machine you one for free. Keep in mind they're kits are not "hybrid", they're straight up eletric, meaning you plug it in at night. Check they're FAQ.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Going from electric to hybrid shouldnt be a problem You could use a combination of thier parts and the tech article from Mother News.

A Manta has much more storage room and not a lot more wieght.. Hmmm...

Charles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just throwing some ideas around...

You could probably use a slightly stronger motor, lets say 8-10 HP, and run 2 alternators/generators putting out twice the power output. I was also wondering how does he keep that 2-stroke's sound down, cause using a muffler will cost HPs. I've been looking into converting a car for a while, but for it to be worthwhile you need to consider lots of things.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
A very good article. But you have to remember, it's over 24 years old and there are many price increases in the componets needed. I was just discussing it with a test engineer. There are newer/better motors and controllers but the price is higher. Figure $2K to $3K which is still a good investment. A little more and you could have a very dependable setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts