Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some ways to tell a 1.9l solid grind camshaft from a hydraulic camshaft? I read something about a crescent oil path, but I am not sure I understand. It is brand new old stock, with a "73" stamped with white paint. I don't know if that is the year, or not. It has "GM," and some other numbers stamped into the side of it, but it isn't in front of me now. The tube is deteriorated and all I can really make out is "Nockenwellen," and a part number. When I get home I can give more info.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Scott McDonald said:
What are some ways to tell a 1.9l solid grind camshaft from a hydraulic camshaft? I read something about a crescent oil path, but I am not sure I understand. It is brand new old stock, with a "73" stamped with white paint. I don't know if that is the year, or not. It has "GM," and some other numbers stamped into the side of it, but it isn't in front of me now. The tube is deteriorated and all I can really make out is "Nockenwellen," and a part number. When I get home I can give more info.
Nockenwellen (literally, wave of cams) is German for camshaft. I bought an FAI (replacement cam brand name) 4 bearing cam kit from England and it came with solids. Other than that, I believe most Opel cams from the factory after '71 were all pretty much hydraulic grinds. Most performance "regrinds" are done on the later 4-bearing cams as they're a bit more universal, work in either 3- or 4-bearing heads without having to do anything else to either type head.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
As far as stock parts go the early solid type was a 3 bearing camshaft. On the front bearing journal the solid cam had a groove cut only part of the way around to limit oil to the head. The later hydraulics had the groove all the way around them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This cam has an oil journal entirely around the front cam bearing...but it has only 3 bearing locations.

The cam in the GT I was told is/was solid-specific. I ran new solid lifters. Dennis looked it up in one of his books and referenced it to an Irmscher fuel injected cam. I'm going to try and pull it later this week-weekend...Still haven't found any new solid lifters though. I found, "Sie bieten auf 11 neue original verpackte mechanische stößel," on eBay, but it looks like they will only ship to Germany.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Good Question!

Scott, I have never had to sort out if a cam is solid or hydraulic! Most regrinds are marked in some way by the cam grinder by stamping or electric pencil and regrinds are noticable by the reduction in base circle diameter ( the bit of the cam profile with no lift that is opposite the "bump" ).

As for new solid lifters keep your eyes ope on eBay UK - which can be selected at the bottom of the eBay homepage - look for "Manta" stuff as most of the CIH motor parts in the UK are for Opel Mantas. Also, the Brits tend to use "cam follower" rather than "valve lifter" - though a search for "camshaft" can find complete FAI brand cam kits. 1.9L ones are usually solid lifter ones 2.0L are usually hydraulic.

I usually start a search with "Vauxhall Opel" then refine it with "cam" to check out what is listed for sale.

A bit more checking will be needed to ascertain the way to find out if an unknown cam is a solid or hydraulic profile - I have a new standard Vauxhall CIH one of each type and will start comparisons as soon as the Christmas rush at work winds down .... but no promises!

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Anyone have any comments on this? Just trying to figure out what I've got here. (PO doesn't know much)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts