Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove this car for about a mile yesterday. It started easily when jumped with another vehicle, it had the heaviest clutch return spring I had ever experienced, the steering was extremely stiff, there was very little relationship between the accelerator pedal and forward movement of the vehicle, it smoked like a freight train and I enjoyed it every minute of it. The ad and price are fair. The sellers were very friendly. The car just has too much rust for my meager skills.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
What is your budget if you don't mind me asking? Are you looking for a project or a finished car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate you asking. I am looking for a drivable GT with little to no rust or dents. I am not interested in bodywork. The price really depends on the car. Suspension and drivetrain modifications are fine. Basically, the following car with a $12,000 price delivered to my house:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I like the Twin tips on the exhaust. Who makes them? I have a set to go on later this year, came from a place in California.

·
1,860 Posts
I think they were made by ANSA. Gil had some made but I don't think they sold well enough to have him make another batch. I have always preferred the four tips.

·
Opeler
1,561 Posts
I like the Twin tips on the exhaust. Who makes them? I have a set to go on later this year, came from a place in California.
The twin tip resonators were/are made by ANSA. Not sure if they still offer them or not. I have that system on my GT and really like the look. One thing to to know about them is that the resonator is considerably heavier than the stock Opel unit and it is really hard on the rubber donuts that hold it in place. I had to replace them on a regular basis when I was driving the car a lot and even made a safety catch for the resonator from plastic coated steel cable (outboard motor control cable) to catch it if one or both of the donuts broke suddenly. In spite of that, I still like the look! If you are only using the tips, not the resonator, then this is probably not going to be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
Ansa made a quad-tip exhaust for the GT’s. They were Italian made (OEM for Ferrari in fact) and when new had red paint inside the exhaust tips with red pinstripe tape at the black-to-chrome transition.

Monza also made quad-tip exhausts for the GT, they were essentially a knock-off of the Ansa system, but made by Pacesetter in So-Cal (later on New Mexico). They had yellow paint inside the exhaust tips and yellow pinstripe tape at the black-to-chrome transition.

The Monza was not as nice as the Ansa in terms of fit and finish.

·
Super Moderator
14,289 Posts
Tool Cylinder Office supplies Auto part Automotive lighting
Cylinder Tin Auto part Carmine Metal

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always liked the dual-tip look. Many long years ago, I put a double-dual-tip on my daughter's VW bus. :D
Summit carries several different dual exhaust tips. Here's one that looks something like what Bob showed:
Tool Office supplies Musical instrument accessory Metal Cylinder

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
I appreciate you asking. I am looking for a drivable GT with little to no rust or dents. I am not interested in bodywork. The price really depends on the car. Suspension and drivetrain modifications are fine. Basically, the following car with a $12,000 price delivered to my house:

For $12k, delivered to your house, I don't think you'll find a GT like that one. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't sell a GT like that red one for $12k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For $12k, delivered to your house, I don't think you'll find a GT like that one. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't sell a GT like that red one for $12k.
I appreciate your help. Keep in mind, I am new to Opels, so I am still learning. Some people on here make comments similar to, “A nice GT is only worth $12,000.” I wish that were true. The $11,000 yellow GT in Jacksonville, FL is nice, but the body damage to the nose, door and the need for a color change make me nervous. Thank you for your consultation. 😀

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
I appreciate your help. Keep in mind, I am new to Opels, so I am still learning. Some people on here make comments similar to, “A nice GT is only worth $12,000.” I wish that were true. The $11,000 yellow GT in Jacksonville, FL is nice, but the body damage to the nose, door and the need for a color change make me nervous. Thank you for your consultation. 😀
Why are you afraid to tackle some of the larger projects, like paint? I tend to believe most people are capable of doing more than they think they can, if they are willing to take the time to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why are you afraid to tackle some of the larger projects, like paint? I tend to believe most people are capable of doing more than they think they can, if they are willing to take the time to do it.
I think body work requires artistic ability and I don’t have any.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
I think bodywork can be learned if you do your homework. YouTube is a wealth of knowledge.

I think most stuff on a car can be learned if you do enough research before trying it yourself.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don’t do body work for a few reasons. An experienced body man has the tools and experience to do the job better than I could, it would drive me nuts looking at my mistakes, and it would be stressful rather than fun. On the other hand, I do enjoy repairing and restoring all sorts of mechanical stuff. A man’s got to know his limitations!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts