Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it seems lately I have to be very PC on this list, can't make a joke for fear of being taken in the wrong context. The forum has grown massively in the past year as well, and I am no longer familiar with the names of many of the subscribers. Also, the forum content has changed drastically in recent months and strayed from subjects that interest me, and in all honesty my time could be better spent on real-life projects. So, in light of all this, I will be leaving this list in the sense that I will no longer post here, even though I may occasionally browse the subject matter. To those I've had decent conversations and discussions with, it's been a good time. To those I've annoyed and pissed off, my sincere apologies....

See you down the road,

RallyBob (for the last time!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's a shame. You've been most helpful in your responses to my questions and problems. Your knowledge was a great resource that will be sorely missed.
:(

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
hey bob dont go like that,that hole thread just got to be a big joke ,dont let it get to you ,we all need to blow off at times but dont lose the thread because someone lost the plot!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Bob,

I know I speak for a bunch of guys when I say the OpelGT.com world will be a bunch less complete and way less fun, not to mention not nearly as fast, without your contribution to this site. While I understand that being a regular contributor can be quite time consuming, and DEFINITELY gets in the way of doing what we should be (as in actually working and DRIVING our cars), I will be very sad not to have your valuable input.

But what must happen, will happen, so bon voyage, and au revoir.

·
648 Posts
What Keith said.

If you must go, my sincere thanks for all the help you have been to this shade tree mechanic.

Remember, if you get down this way, I still owe you a bowl of gumbo.

Best Wishes,
James coronato

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Bob,

I 3rd what Keith said. When I saw you were saying adieu to the forum I said " Ah SH##". :eek:

I am truly sorry you will not be putting in your input. I think that your input and guidance are great. I have read a great deal of the other topics and I see you all over the place. Your knowledge is truly impressive.

As far as those who cannot take a joke or type correctly, they need to grow up.

When I get to working on my Opel and need some help I hope you will at less read it and give me your 2 cents worth.

If you are ever in Atlanta, please drop a line. The beer is on me. :D

Hopefully I will have my Opel up and running.:cool:

Rick in Atlanta

·
257 Posts
A true loss to OpelGT.com, Bob's knowledge and experience
is beyond what I can only hope to be.

I hope you'll change your mind. I read everything you have to say.

Stanley_P

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
i here ya bob...

bob, what can i say...i agree with you. i have not posted here as much because of the current subject matter...i guess i caught this forum at the perfect 6 months, because it was very,very helpful.

i really appreciate the advice on the 2.3 swap i couldn't have done it with out you! and would hate to think what would have happened if i had attempted the swap without your advice.

the car did not make it do the GRM $2003 challenge, but not for lack of trying, i spent too much time on little details...my buddies and i stayed up 42 hours straight, then drove to gainseville for the race anyway! I am finishing up the final details right now...the car is beautiful! i my opinion i could have won...or placed top 5 easy. the car will be there next year after a whole year of tweeking and tinkering at the track. i also plan to bring a 2.3T or 350 swap in a porsche 914. that will not be nearly as hard as the opel swap! (time to find an unsuspecting 914 forum...)

in closing thank you for your advice...though i find it odd to 'anounce' your retirement...instead of just fading away...

jon

(check out turboford.org for some serious forum discussions)

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Your knowledge will be missed. I learned a lot just by reading your posts. Thanks with your help on understandin wheels & offsets.

Marc Sotsky
72 GT
:(

·
Opeler
36 Posts
I feel the same way as all the previous posts. I also see what this forum becoming as with most that I'm on sooner or later get this way. The internet is a great tool but you don't know who's typing at the other end and it's hard know where they're coming from. I personally like talking on the phone or in person to someone as you can, I feel comunicate better as you can in a very short time get to know their true knowledge and make judgements as to how to persue your line of conversation. With that said thanks Bob for all the performance parts I've purchased from you thru out the years from your time with C&R to the poly locks just in the last few months. By the sheer # of posts you've made you need to get out and burn some set time on a track. I don't post that often as it's very time consuming. So good luck and thank's Bob.

Lee Frisvold
73 GT 2.4 long time autocrosser

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
399 Posts
Rally Bob, thank you for the spring and shackles advice. I can sympathize. I work on my car because I enjoy working on the car. I suspect most of us do too. I find no fun in re-engineering some dude's fuel injection. After all engineers have spent thousands of hours working the bugs out.
I've found that it ain't a good idea to do math in public and never second guess an engineer.
That said, I would also not care to say good-bye, but rather cheers. And hope to here from you soon. We'll all still be here.
Cheers, Dan

·
Opeler
16 Posts
Bob,
Have always enjoyed your posts, your pictures and your ability to fabricate what I can only imagine. Your knowledge will be missed, no longer will I just wait a day to see what Bob has to say about it. Best of luck in all future endevours.....
Dave

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
I feel as though I should hang my head in shame.:( I apologize to Bob and anyone else if posts on a particular thread offended anyone. None of what was said (by anyone, I think) was meant to hurt. My sense of humour probably didn't help. (actually, I tend to laugh at myself faster than at others)

While this is an Opel forum, about Opels, for Opels, and by Opels, some members will have questions about 'others'. But as the forum grows, more of it will happen. The trust members put into the ideas and experience of the experts will lead people to ask for their opinions/advice on the 'others'. It is a natural thing to do. And good answers, whether helpful or not, will encourage people to stay in the hobby or even get deeper into it.

And apologies to Gary. I did my best to go 'off topic'.

·
1,973 Posts
well I hate to see you go, I love reading your posts and i think you are one of the most knowledgable opelers on this forum. well see ya down the road.
~Jordan:(

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
As Men go, Dr. Bob (RallyeBob) is in the top tier, the upper crust, an Man's Man. We all owe tons of thankfulness for the help an research and trial an error hours he has logged on Opel here in North America so that we could have simple weekend projects. Most any advice that I have recieved after 1995 has somehow seemed to lead its way back to Him.

From the Ol' days of the Armory board and up til now his influence is without question. His advice to others that I have piggybacked off of and his own words of wisdom to my direct projects are much appreciated and I must be grateful that there was not a fee associated with such professional service.

We will miss your presence here, but maybe now we will begin to take our Opels to the road and head out on our own quests to actually meet our Guru.

I as well wish you much productivity in your endeavors, and I thank you for all the information you have put forth here for our reference.

Cheers to RallyeBob

·
Registered
521 Posts
Bob

Bob, please don't leave the list. I know I've used your knowledge without much input. I feel guilty for that. But enjoy knowing there are many with vastly more knowledge than myself. I enjoy reading the tech articles and greatly enjoy anything about performance and upgrades. I even tell non-oplers about our "opel guru Bob".

·
115 Posts
Bob;
What can I say that hasn't already been said in the previous posts about the value you bring to this site and to amatuers like myself. Although I am not a huge contributer to the site I often browse the posts and enjoy reading your articles. You speak of things I can only dream of, but heh it is OK to dream right? I hope that after a little time off you will get the urge to contribute once again and as you have seen from the others who have replied to your post, you hold great importance to us all.
Best of luck and hope to see your name appearing again on the site.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
<See you down the road,

RallyBob (for the last time!)>

You probably won't see this Dr. B but I think I am going to join you for awhile. The list has become a little juvinile and I am wasting alot of my time trying to read some of the posts that
A. are needless
B. missspelled
C. argumentative
D. missspelled
E. juvinile
F. irrelevant and
g. addresses issues on the Opel that are not interesting to me.

I'll pop in from time to time to see if it clears up any until then
Bye- Bye

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
I'm sorry that you feel that way Tom. There are a few options you can take without totally leaving the board.

First, the new Email Edition feature sends you an email at whatever interval you choose, whenever a new post is made to a forum that you have an interest in. You no longer need to scan through all the posts. Check it out. A link is in the Main menu.

Second, every post has a "Report this post to a moderator" link or a "Warn" button. This feature can be used to notify us of problem posts before a flame war erupts. Moderators have the power to close threads. Repeat offenders can be banned.

Third, Our growth has been incredible. We are close to having 1,500 members worldwide. With this growth comes some growing pains. The load is getting heavy for our two moderators (Kwilford, and me) Maybe the time has come for us to add more. More mods will help keep threads on track.

Fourth, I am debugging an "FAQ Answer Bot" that will automatically answer common questions.

Fifth, (hey, this is getting long...) If a lot of members feel spell checking is a must have, I'll spend the $$ to get one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts