Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my old friends in the SE Wisconsin/Chicago area, how's the weather :p The spring weather over here in the fatherland is great. OK nuff small talk, need help. Some of you know Jon, my son. Well, he's been chomping at the bit now that he has a license and he's looking for a car to take on. He's set on a GT, of course, and I am wondering if someone could guide him a little. He may have found one in a salvage yard near Watertown but he hasn't gotten out to look at it. Something about a blizzard, but I have yet to see any snow. Unless Gerry still has that hand-me-down GT or you guys know of something road-worthy that won't cost him/me an arm and a leg that's close. Not much on e-bay or on auto-trader for the moment, but I keep looking. I'm looking over here for something nice but everything is double the price it would be back there. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Must NOT be like his dad if he lets 16+ inches of snow stop him from checking out a GT!:p Shouldn't he be military tough like you?
Anyways, good to hear from you. Let me or Gerry know what salvage yard and I am sure we can take a trip out there as soon as the global warming kicks in to check out his find for him!
Stay safe and warm.
Jeff P

·
530 Posts
Hey Mike! What kind of timeline is he looking at? My father-in-law (retired Buick-Opel dealer) has a GT he will probably want to sell in the spring. Right now he is in Florida until April. The GT is a 71 or 72 I believe. My sister-in-law's uncle owned it in the Chicago area, and after his passing, it sat in her aunt's garage for at least 5 years. One of the mechanics who worked for him since the dealership opened around '69 went over the car and got it running again and it is now road worthy. I've driven it a few times, and it seems to go pretty well down the road. I know they ordered some brake parts from OpelGTsource, put in a new battery, had the seats re-trimmed in plain black cloth, etc. It has the automatic tranny, and is a dark metallic blue color (not original color) with black interior. The paint is OK, but I believe there is bondo at play. The rear taillights kind of point slightly in different directions, and the front marker lights have been filled in with rectangular side marker lights in their place. Overall, it isn't the prettiest GT, but it seems solid, looks OK, and is in good shape mechanically. I'm not sure price-wise where he would be at. The car is currently stored for the winter in Wisconsin Rapids. If you want to pursue, let me know and I'll talk with him in FL.
-Jeff W
'75, '74, & '73 Mantas

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just maybe

Hey Jeff W,
If Jon isn't interest I could be possiblely. I think he would certainly wait till spring for chance at a road worthy GT. For a first car he shouldn't complain about the looks. Heck, I drove a 65 chevy truck that had no floor, no bed cracked windshield and what was left of the cab was mostly rust. It was a blast to drive as light in the back as it was. Aahhh, good times..... Ithink he needs to wait till the snow is gone before getting over to the salvage yard. Have I told you guys how much I apprciate you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts