Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can not get the distributor to drop down the last half inch, the gears act like they are meshed and the distributor turns with the engine but it wont drop down, the oil pump gears are out and the fuel pump is off, I've had the crank pulley on and off, bolted and unbolted so it doesn't seem to be a distributor drive gear position problem. any ideas?

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Last 1/2 inch . . .

jordan said:
I just can not get the distributor to drop down the last half inch, the gears act like they are meshed and the distributor turns with the engine but it wont drop down, the oil pump gears are out and the fuel pump is off, I've had the crank pulley on and off, bolted and unbolted so it doesn't seem to be a distributor drive gear position problem. any ideas?
Have you had the timing cover off for any reason? If both of your OP gears are now out of the TC housing and fuel pump is removed, the ONLY thing left is proper meshing the distributor gear with its corresponding crank drive gear. Are you sure your crank snout drive gear stack-up is correct . . . ? :confused:

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally have never had the timing cover off of this engine, I bought the distributor from a member on the board so I believe it it the correct one, I have no doubt in my mind that it isnt an opel distributor.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Turning shaft while re-inserting . . .

jordan said:
I personally have never had the timing cover off of this engine, I bought the distributor from a member on the board so I believe it it the correct one, I have no doubt in my mind that it isnt an opel distributor.
OK, try this , Jordan. Slide the distributor, with the cap off but the rotor on, back in to the point where you meet the obstruction. Lift distributor slightly, just enough to relieve tension on drive gear, grasp the rotor and turn it slowly CW as you lower it again to try to mesh it with the crank gear.

You didn't say anything about having removed the distributor hold down clamp, but I assume you're doing this with it removed, right? Hey, I'm just covering the bases!

82 Posts
Being an amature myself I learned this the hard way... Look at the flat part on the bottom of the shaft and turn it so it fits in the notch in hole.

· Administrator
10,421 Posts
Ok, Time to look for the not so obvious...

Is the dist. drive gear in the proper location? (is the shear pin in place)

Do you have another dist to compare it to?

Did you remove the crank drive gear at all?

When you lower the dist. Is the end going into to the hole where the oil pump drive gear sits? (Look up through the oil pump housing)

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Just out of curiosity I tried 2 known good distributors (72 and 75) in a known good front timing cover and got the same result. I tried just a housing with no shaft and it did the same thing. All of these parts are dry and pretty clean too. What I found was that oxidization had built up on the the areas where they fit together. Cleaned that up and it fits. Just an idea since it is a fairly snug fit.

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try to clean it up better but the distributor was sitting in the parts washer for a week and then cleaned up. but it's easier than starting to pull the engine apart, it feels like its hitting something, but the shaft is through the hole in the bottom.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
I was surprised especially since the 72 distributor hasn't been out of a motor for very long. Mine engaged the driven gear but would not set in fully, if that helps at all. Just an idea since it's about the only area that is about a 1/2 inch in length.

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'nobody' gets the cigar! it was aluminium oxidation on the distributor and the the timing cover, I washed both parts with lacquer thinner and then sanded them with 400 grit until it was shiny as a dime and it went down snuggly with some wd-40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.