Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

ok, i got a 72 opel gt 1.9 motor thats been sitting for 20 years. it has oil and plugs still in it and all of the exhaust, intake, water holes are pluged so nothing gets in it. it also has 66,000 on it. i would like to put it in my 73 gt. i turned the engine over by hand and it has a lot of compression. but, i also have a nother 1.9 72 motor thats has 127,000 miles on it. and i know how this one runs. i had for four days in my black gt before that stupid chick hit me. so i know how it runs. but i dont know how the 66,000 one runs but it seemed to have plenty of compression. i dont have a lot of money to do a rebuild. and the motor that is in my 73 gt is about to take a s**t on me. so my question is what motor should i use. and what way should i pull the motor? out the bottom or out the top?
thanks for the help guys
aaron

·
Opeler
343 Posts
If the engine has been sitting for 20 years but turns over it is still not good. My advice is to stick with is and give it to the garage and ask them to take the head off and inspect it. It should not cost alot. On the other hand the 127.000 miler sounds like it is shot, but you may find that the head or bottom end on one is better than the other and put the two units together to get one good motor.

I bought a restoration project and was told that the engine was good. This seemed to tally and started and idled well but as soon as it got used and strain was put on it, it just gave up.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Aaron, this is what I would do:
1). If it has no dist. in it, hook a drill to the oil pump shaft and run up some oil pressure. Hook up a cheapy gauge.
2). While someone does that turn the engine over by hand (no plugs) to lube everything up.
3). Attach a dist., coil, carb, starter and a ehaust pipe w/ a little muffler. Make some metal braces for the motor mounts attach-points.
4). Attach a battery, a jumper for the coil and put some gas in the carb (via the vent tube).
5). Jump the starter. Hopefully, it should fire up and you won't hear any knocks.

That's my Shade-Tree, 2c's worth ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
opelgtmaster3 said:
and what way should i pull the motor? out the bottom or out the top?
thanks for the help guys
aaron
Like Old Hippie says...

And out the bottom. No more discussion on THAT item. As if :)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'm with keith and oldhippie, i'd check the 66,000 mile motor also, it'd only take a few hours. my GT sat for 17 years, and the origional motor runs sweet, damn near as good as my 2.0 did. its the best running 1.9 i've had and it sat longer than any, the old 66 impala say for 22 years and fired right up last summer, first time it had been started in that many years, and its got a little 283 with 148PSI across the board with 105,000 miles. and a third car, 52 packard witha straight 8 sat for a minimum of 14 years, it had a couple sticky valves, but once they freed up, she ran good too. and more GT specific, a local with a 72 GT has had her stored for 16 years, and i grabbed the fan and turned it over by hand 2 revolutions.....just because they sit dont mean their junk at all, some can sit for 60 years and be good, and some sit for 6 months, and freeze up like our combine.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
motor

the 127,000 ran very good last year. and all of the gaskets a pretty new.
but piston rings are orginal. thats one of the things im worried about with that engine. but i think i will try to start the 66,000 miles one to see what one is better. or i ll just put the two together. so out the bottom kieth.
thanks alot guys

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
very wise GTmaster.......dont mention pulling or replacing through the top if keith may read :rolleyes: ..."just playing keith"

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Aaron wanna give me a hand? I plan on pulling the 9:1 shortblock and tranny this coming weekend. I'll show you how it's done, safely. bring the car and we'll see what can be done there too. Go west to my town, turn north on ninth and just past the school is Forest ave. go west and after a short jog to the left you will see 612 left side and mine is in the back yard. OH I did just find those parts and saved them for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts