Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just flushed the radiator with some water and a shop vac. i poured water down the fillcap and i hooked up the shop vac at the bottom hole in the radiator to suck out and catch the water and then i took the tube on the top that goes from the top of the radiator to the thermostat housing and these 2 brass jobbers and a spring (about 1.5 inches x 1 inch) fell out. did i brake something or do i just put them back and if so where do they go? (the penny wasnt in there it is to show the relative size of it)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Ha! Hey, I've never seen that happen before! Those parts WERE the 'guts' of your thermostat. Just buy a new thermostat and gasket, and you're all set. You'll find the remainder of the thermostat (the outer ring) is still in place, so don't forget to remove that before putting in the new one.

Bob

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on ogts it says specify between 160 degree and 180 degree. which one do i want? the one that came out was a 160 degree, do i want to stay with that flavor or do i want the 180?

·
648 Posts
Unless you want quick heat from the heater, I'd go with the 160.

That must have been a "Tim the Tool Man" modified shop vac.....

James:)

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yea it is 3 hp 6 gallon wet dry industrial shop vac last week my dad vacuumed up 5 gallons of hydrolic oil off of our concrete floor, strained it and reused it!

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yea and also wont the engine run better if the engine is at 180 degrees.
ps. i dont have the heater core hooked up and i probily wont because i will never drive it in the winter.

·
648 Posts
You are correct that most engines run more efficiently at a higher temperature. However, just because you use a 160, does not mean that it will run at 160. All it means is that 160 is where the thermostat opens up. The engine will still continue to heat up to it's normal temperature. For instance, if you had a partially plugged radiator that caused your engine to run at 200, the 160 thermo would not stop that. It might just take a little longer to get there.

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boo ya, thats what i told my dad because there is no way that the inside of the engine could be only 160 degrees and the thermostat is just the water temp not the actual engine temp, yet the old man still disagreed!

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i ordered the 160 degree thermostat and ill have it april first

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i got the thermostat but the guy at carquest scared me he said if there is alittle bit of the old antifreeze in the system it will make a chemical reaction and it will make a vasoline like substance! i never found the drain plug on the block so i want to open that up and see if there is any left and how should i flush the system after the plug is open, like what tubes should be disconnected while im pouring water in while the engine is running?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts