Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys yesterday My dad, grandpa and my cousin and I went and picked up this 1972 Opel GT. It was about a 2 hour drive, We had to drive throught indy and the highway wasn't too bad with the truck and trailer.

To load it up the front tires and the passenger rear tires were shot. Thank goodness we brought 2 tires of my GT and the original spare tire from my 69 gt. We jacked it up from the og jacking point on the drivers front side. It was pretty scary but somehow the metal held and the jack didn't go throught the car. Then we were able to get the jack on the front suspension for the other side. We were really lucky since none of the brakes were locked up! Then we jack the rear of the car up on the diff to put a wheel on the rear passenger wheel. The has dragged it around his yard to mow where it has been sitting so that it probably why the brakes weren't stuck. He already had a chain on the front suspension so we just hooked the winch up and it went right onto the trailer. Then we strapped it down and the ride home was pretty uneventfull. We got it home and unloaded it into the barn where the 69 gt used to be in. That was really easy. The rear tires that were on this GT were really cool. I really like the look of 175/70 tires instead of the 175/80 tire that are on my 69. When I get tires I will try and get 175/70s. We also think the guy must have done a burn out with this GT because the other rear tire was shreaded.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Car

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Cloud
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

The engine had no spark plugs in it so it is probably locked up. The water pump is locked up. The weber carb needs to be freed up too. It is a farrely new weber carb with only a few thousands miles on it. The interior is pretty bad but the 4 speed looks pretty good. It also might have koni shocks on the back. They are red shocks I don't kno what kind they are but I saw they were red. The glass is all real nice except it is missing the pass. rear popout glass. It also has a weird blue canister on the front bellpan. I thought it was something with the ac, but could it be the carbon canister?

It is in pretty bad shape but it is was worth the $300 and the $90 in gas to go get it. At a gas station a guy saw it and he said that he has a white GT and he put a quad 4 oldsmobile engine and 5 speed trans in it. That would be a fun GT. He is local and is charge of a local car show that we took my 69 GT too last year. He said he will be there to see it!

My grandpa and I are going to start taking the whole car apart in the future and decide what we are going to do to it. Maybe get the alfa romeo engine that I know a guy has? We will see.

A Youtube video is coming soon!

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Über Genius
10,235 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked on walmart and they are like $50 which are for cheap tires. Not bad. So 185/70 is a taller tire than the 175/70s? Or what is the difference?

Thanks Sam

·
Über Genius
10,235 Posts
IMO, the best size for the 13" rims is 205/60-13
You won't find many and they won't be $50 each.

Reactions: okieopel and V6Opel

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I just looked on walmart and they are like $50 which are for cheap tires. Not bad. So 185/70 is a taller tire than the 175/70s? Or what is the difference?

Thanks Sam
Yes, it's taller. The number 70 means that the sidewall height is 70% of the tire width and thus 70% of 185 mm is more than 70% of 175 mm. Concerning wheel widths, 185 mm is the maximum recommended tire width on a 5" wheel. With a 205/60 tire the optimum wheel width is 6".

·
Detritus Maximus
3,716 Posts
And your illness progresses!

The cannister is the charcoal cannister. The Red shocks are probably run of the mill shocks. Konis are kind of a vermillion color, somewhere between red and orange.
The Alfa motor is not a good fit....but get it and sell it/part it. That motor looks pretty much the same for 25 years, so it's important to find out what displacement/damage. They are fairly expensive to rebuild ($5k+) and then lots of engineering to get it to fit.

So, congratulations on the start of your mountain of Opel parts!

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
From your pictures you not only got your front side marker lenses you now have housings too. The master cylinder cap looks to be in good condition and did you get a key for the gas cap?
Way to bring it full circle great eye and memory

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Get that flywheel, clutch assembly, transmission, drive shaft etc. out & pop it in your GT😎. Probably just the GT throttle linkage seized up you may have a good carb. See what year the cylinder head is, hopefully it’s already been replaced years ago. My 72’ head went right off the bat at 60k (I think it was already cracked when I bought it, just waiting to go) LOL. That’s a good bargain you got. You got a nice windshield, gas cap & lots of fun ahead. Love the soundtrack on the short video.

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From your pictures you not only got your front side marker lenses you now have housings too. The master cylinder cap looks to be in good condition and did you get a key for the gas cap?
I don't think I got a key for the gas cap but when I clean the car out I will look for one.

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get that flywheel, clutch assembly, transmission, drive shaft etc. out & pop it in your GT😎. Probably just the GT throttle linkage seized up you may have a good carb. See what year the cylinder head is, hopefully it’s already been replaced years ago. My 72’ head went right off the bat at 60k (I think it was already cracked when I bought it, just waiting to go) LOL. That’s a good bargain you got. You got a nice windshield, gas cap & lots of fun ahead. Love the soundtrack on the short video.
First we want to finish the wiring and get the rockers fixed before we do the swap. It might be next year before we can do it.

·
Über Genius
10,235 Posts
If you didn't get a gas cap key, and it's locked, there's a tutorial on how to remove it without hurting anything or damaging the cap.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover
1 - 20 of 48 Posts