Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The cap isn't locked but I don't think I have a key for it.When I clean the car out I will look. Is there a way to get a key for the cap?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Keith Lundholm (opelspyder) has a full set of door and gas cap keys. I believe he offers a service where you ship him your cap and he figured out the correct key, then sends it back with a couple of copies. Try pm-ing him.

I had him do this last year at Carlisle (he brings all the equipment with him) so I could save the shipping time/cost.

There is, or used to be, a “can of keys” that got shipped around. It had a bunch of old keys in it, and the idea was to try them out and see if you got lucky. Then you would send it to the next guy on the list. Not sure if that’s still going on, but hopefully someone will reply and let us know.

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Keith Lundholm (opelspyder) has a full set of door and gas cap keys. I believe he offers a service where you ship him your cap and he figured out the correct key, then sends it back with a couple of copies. Try pm-ing him.

I had him do this last year at Carlisle (he brings all the equipment with him) so I could save the shipping time/cost.

There is, or used to be, a “can of keys” that got shipped around. It had a bunch of old keys in it, and the idea was to try them out and see if you got lucky. Then you would send it to the next guy on the list. Not sure if that’s still going on, but hopefully someone will reply and let us know.
I am in no rush but I might have to send him a message some day.

·
Super Moderator
6,523 Posts
There is a thread I contributed to that shows how to re-key a gas cap to the ignition/door key. I'll find and post it momentarily...

·
Super Moderator
6,523 Posts
Here is one of the threads. I am pretty sure I did one more recently, so I will keep looking.

·
Super Moderator
6,523 Posts
This is the thread I was thinking of. My post is #10, but the entire thread is worth reading:

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok once I clean out the car and if I can't find the key I will do something like that.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just to point out how spoiled you are to have 2 GTs before you can drive...

... your voice has gone through puberty between your previous video and the new acquisition. :p

Congrats on the purchase.

Start practising welding. You'll need it eventually.
Yep I am pretty spoiled that my grandpalikes towork on this junk.
It was unning a couple days agomy parents were atching one of my old videos from last year and this were surprized how much my voice changed. You don't really notice over time since you get used to it.

I do need to wed it has been a month or 2 since I ave welded anything.

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok guys just a little update. So yesteray before we went to my aunt and uncle's house to swim their pond we stopped by my grandparent's house. My grandpa and I messed with the orange GT a little bit. We decided to try and take the hood off and ended up making one of the inside nuts inside the hood break the weld and now it is spining. As my grandpa said that is the worst thing that could happen. So we are going to have to get the torch or angle grinder out and cut the hood up. The hood really isn't that bad but the only way to get it off and to fix that unwelded nut someday is to cut it up.

Also we might use the headlight wiring on it on my other GT since it looks pretty nice.

Weird things about this car: no oil dipstick(that's great), no distributor cap, spark plugs and spark plug wires, no radiator hoses, and some other stuff I can't remember. I don't undestang why he took the distributor cap off since he didn't have any other opels.

Also a good thing is the transmission seems fine and it feels like it shifts through all the gears. I think I will definantly need a new clutch cable since the clutch pedel doesn't want to depress.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think I will definantly need a new clutch cable since the clutch pedel doesn't want to depress.
If it's anything like the headlight cable... try lifting it up high and propping it or ziptying it there, and then every hour or so that you happen to be around, spray some penetrating oil into the end of it and try to stomp the pedal a few times.

I took me about a week but eventually the penetrating oil sank deep enough into it that I could start to move it back and forth (and then dump a lot more penetrating oil into it and try to rinse out the rust).

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well I talk to my grandpa last night and I think we will be taking the headlight wiring of this GT and putting it in my 1969 gt. It need wiring from the radiator and forward and for some reason the 72's wiring looks very nice. Who ever did the wiring on my 69 gt the wiring in front of the radiator was not as thik as the og wiring and it was a big mess of wiries held together by tape.

·
Opeler
763 Posts
It would be a waste of time to remove the 50 year old wiring and move it to another GT. Much better and safer to just get a 50' spool or so of 12 gauge automotive wiring and re-wire the headlights. Only three wires to each and one is a short ground wire to the chassis.

Also on the hood, don't cut up the hood, cut the head of that bolt off with a grinder being careful not to damage the hinge metal. Once the hood is off you can repair that broken interior welded nut a couple ways. You can weld in a new nut plate on the hood frame being really careful not to warp or damage the other hood skin or you can use a crimped nut plate (can't remember exactly what they are called) that is installed into an oversize hole and crimped in place from the outside. Think of one of those expanded wall anchors. Of course if the hood frame metal is severely rooted there may not be much metal to repair. In that case you would have to cut back to good metal and weld in new.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Years ago my 70 GT hood hinge had to be welded. The body shop used a thick blob of anti-heat compound (a heavy clay) on the painted side, above the hinge, and carefully and slowly welded it back on. Worked great and the paint was not damaged.

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Years ago my 70 GT hood hinge had to be welded. The body shop used a thick blob of anti-heat compound (a heavy clay) on the painted side, above the hinge, and carefully and slowly welded it back on. Worked great and the paint was not damaged.
On this car the hood hinge has already been fixed. Which I was really surprized about since it opened so nice.

·
Registered
The Young One
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok guys a little update. So saturday I went to my grandparent's house and tore it down pretty good. My 12 year old cousin came over and he helped a ton. We got the weber carb off, radiator out, headlights out, front marker lights and turn signals out, cylinder head and valve cover off, charcoal canister off, and I think that is all.

Th weber carb looks pretty nice but the secondary is stuck so it is soaking in oil right now. The radiator has been fixed before and it was full of acorns and dirt but it seems like it will work just fine. The cylinder head looks to be in decent shape and I couldn't find any cracks in it. The engine is junk since 3 of the pistons are at the same level and we found out that the oil pan is just dangeling and not even bolted up. The 4 speed seems to shift good and the driveshaft doesn't have much play. I really need to stop taking parts off this GT and I need to get my 1969 GT together for a car show coming up on the 30th. Videos are coming soon!
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Hand Motor vehicle Hood Wheel Tire

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Wood

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wood Font Handwriting Tree Artifact

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You’ll want to see what year the cylinder head is to determine its worth. 71’ seems to be the most desirable year. Picture courtesy of one of Rallybob’s earlier posts.

Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

21 - 40 of 48 Posts