Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Here is a video of tearing it down. Also the cylinder head says 71 does that mean it is a 1971?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sounds like you have the good one! Take a picture of the year that you’re looking at. The 72’ head probably went years ago if it was the later one. Odds are you’re in good shape. Sorry if it’s on the video I haven’t watched it yet

Edit

I did watch your video just now, didn’t catch the number but remembered that I re posted a picture of the year from an earlier forum post. If that’s what it says on yours you’re good to go

·
Über Genius
10,020 Posts
The triple square bits are still available in many parts stores in the VW section.
The headlight bucked needs to be on it's side to come out easy.
That's an aftermarket head gasket.
The cylinders look pretty good considering the rest of the mouse nests. They will bore out to a 2.0 easily.
I'm commenting as I watch the video.
#1 is the bad rod.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
The Young One
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sounds like you have the good one! Take a picture of the year that you’re looking at. The 72’ head probably went years ago if it was the later one. Odds are you’re in good shape. Sorry if it’s on the video I haven’t watched it yet

Edit

I did watch your video just now, didn’t catch the number but remembered that I re posted a picture of the year from an earlier forum post. If that’s what it says on yours you’re good to go
Hopefully it is a good cylinder head. Does that mean it is better than the other years?

·
Registered
The Young One
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The triple square bits are still available in many parts stores in the VW section.
The headlight bucked needs to be on it's side to come out easy.
That's an aftermarket head gasket.
The cylinders look pretty good considering the rest of the mouse nests. They will bore out to a 2.0 easily.
I'm commenting as I watch the video.
#1 is the bad rod.
WE are planning to maybe rebuild it. I would really like to build it to a 2.0L and I have a big valve head and a weber 40 dcoe. I just hope the crankshaft isn't junk.

·
Über Genius
10,020 Posts
WE are planning to maybe rebuild it. I would really like to build it to a 2.0L and I have a big valve head and a weber 40 dcoe. I just hope the crankshaft isn't junk.
Crankshafts can be reground. And they're pretty available otherwise. I think I have 6 or 7 of them including a brand new one. (Not offering them. Just illustrating how available they are. )

The crankshaft is the most resilient part of these engines.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
71’s are sought after cylinder heads. If you do that 2.0 conversion go with the 1.9 exhaust valves and install the 2.0 intakes. I wished I had done mine that way. Rally Bob just posted something on that subject of the good years of the CIH engine.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
71’s are sought after cylinder heads. If you do that 2.0 conversion go with the 1.9 exhaust valves and install the 2.0 intakes. I wished I had done mine that way. Rally Bob just posted something on that subject of the good years of the CIH engine.
I have a big valve head that I think is a 1970 head with pontiac valve springs and big valves. I will probably build it with that head.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts