Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Now THAT is a barn find.
I mean... hard to find the barn!

Looks pretty straight from the angles we can see.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
That was pretty cool. 20+ years of stuff trying to block it in but the Opel came out.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Not every young person is out to kill their cars when they're young. I took pretty good care of my first GT. Yes, I had "some" fun with it but the first ding after paint almost made me cry. I didn't make the first ding. It was a parking lot A-hole that didn't bother to own their mistake.

Side note. I've loaded GTs onto trailers and tow dollies but never seen anyone use a winch. Either that GT has some serious friction in it's turney bits or you guys grossly overestimated how light these things are. Better safe than sorry, though.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Just a heads up. Putting an auto transmission into park, while moving, is a great way to remove the "park" feature.
You'd be shocked at how small the part is that engages when you shift to "park"

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Back to the brake booster.
You had the pedal get sucked to the floor...
If you also had white smoke out the tailpipe then the Master Cylinder is shot and the booster is full of fluid.
Your brake pedal will start going to the floor again soon if the M/C is leaking.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
A lot of aftermarket radios of that era had adjustable posts. It's hard to tell just by looking but they are.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Also I have the hood of the car. One of the hinges rusted and someone tried to force the hood open so it broke. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks Sam
Depends on where it broke.
No matter where it broke, you have to remove the hinge assembly. It's not a fun job to do.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Remember, any holes you put in Opel sheet metal WILL rust if not treated.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
It's good to be a youngster. People give you stuff for free,
Wait til you're in your 50's. The last free thing I got (besides covid shots) was a colonoscopy.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Looks like someone gave you a set of NEW lenses.
I don't know how long OGTS has been making these but it can't be that long, relatively speaking.
I'll second the gaskets. Even if you just seal it with silly cone, sealing the lenses is important.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
Cold start procedure on an Opel GT with a carb.

Pump gas pedal 3 times (not two, not four). Crank for 4 seconds.
If it doesn't fire, pump pedal 3 more times (Not 2, not 4).
Crank two more seconds.
If it doesn't start, pump pedal 3 more times.
Crank 4 more seconds.
If it doesn't start, pump gas pedal 3 more times.
Crank 4 more seconds.
If you're not getting fire at this point, get out, pull the air cleaner, dribble some gas down the throat of the carb. (not a lot)
Crank the engine.
If no fire at this point, start swearing like a sailor.
Check the distributor cap for moisture.
Put it back on (very important).
Try cranking again.
If no fire, check to see if there's even gas in the tank.
Look down inside of the carb and cycle the accelerator to see if the accelerator pump is working.
If no gas squirting into the carb, dribble more gas down the throat of the carb.
If still no fire, swear a LOT more.
Pull the insulator off the #1 spark plug. Take an old spark plug and plug it into the insulator. Rest the housing against a piece of metal in the engine compartment and crank while looking for spark.
If no spark, swear a LOT more.
If spark exists, try pulling more gas down the throat of the carb.
Somewhere along the line, pull out a fire extinguisher.
If it catches on fire, use the fire extinguisher. Do NOT use a garden hose. It will work but... Just don't!
Crank the engine again.
If it still doesn't fire, go inside and watch TV for a half hour.
Go back out and try to fire the car WITHOUT pumping the pedal.
If it still doesn't fire, unplug the fuel line from the carb. See if it's wet.
If it's wet, and dribbles gas, put it back on. If it's dry. extend the hose by 4 feet and place the end in a coffee can (oh yeah, coffee cans went extinct) or a gas can or something that won't tip over and spill gas everywhere.
Crank the engine for 4 seconds.
If gas comes out the hose then reconnect it to the carb. If it doesn't, swear even more.
Go back inside and decide if you still want a muther luvvin opel GT or if you'd rather pop a squat on a fire ant hill.

· Über Genius
10,251 Posts
You should move that red wire for your electric choke back over to your horn which is always hot.
I only say this because it may melt the protective sleeve the way you have it routed and that would not be good
Hoorn isn't always hot. It's ignition connected.
You wouldn't want the choke to be always hot.
Running to the horn is a good enough thing to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts