Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Ron in FL
3,633 Posts
Hey, congratulations! I'm glad you were finally able to work out a deal for the car. Now that you excavated it from storage, you can start doing
a proper assessment of the GT to see what you have and what you will need. Sort of like what this guy is doing, but digging a little deeper, I would think.
Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

· Ron in FL
3,633 Posts
It doesn't look like you will have to do much at all to the interior, other than cleaning and perhaps a new carpet set. You will get a lot of hands-on body work experience with this car-a good learning opportunity! (y)

I stayed at my grandparents house for the last few days and we got a lot done! I drove my first car, my fist Opel Gt, and my first car with no brakes! On the first drive I just shifted into park when I wanted to stop. Then we got the e-brake working and I stopped with that the next day. We made sure the thermostat was working. We order a bunch of brake lines and brake stuff from rock auto parts. The gas tank is leaking so the next thing we will do is start taking the interior apart to see what is wrong with the tank. Then we will put the brakes back together. We had to split the calipers because the pistons wouldn't come out with air. We pressed them and eventually got them out with screw drivers. We may have chipped the pistons:0

We will fix the rockers before we drive it down the road.
Videos are coming soon!
Sam
View attachment 434544 View attachment 434545 View attachment 434546 View attachment 434547 View attachment 434548 View attachment 434549 View attachment 434550 View attachment 434551

· Ron in FL
3,633 Posts
It actually sounds pretty smooth for a car that has been sitting so long (and with a Solex too!). That red interior is very salvageable. I'm guessing it will clean up nicely. As Matt mentioned, the bodywork should definitely be your focus. Don't worry about making it too pretty, but sorting out those rotten rockers should be a priority.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts